AuthorTopic: Sad Clown [WIP] [C + C]  (Read 7595 times)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Sad Clown [WIP] [C + C]

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 09:10:03 pm
He could use some more sadness cues in the face.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 05:38:55 am
Oh wow, you guys are giving me a lot to work with here.

@AgentK: I think that the nose looks much better. The readability and just the form of it is better. I think that the only thing I'll do with that is put one pixel of distance between it and the neck to separate it a little more. I really like what you did with the body too. What I'm learning from your edits is that I need to be a lot more aggressive with black, lol.

@astra: The colors on that look a lot more natural. I think I'll work off that one and integrate some of the sharp shading AgentK did.

@Piledriver: Yea, the eyebrows add a lot. I'll play around with those in the next iteration.

I (and the rest of you) am spending WAY too long on this relatively in-important character, but I feel like I'm learning a lot. Once I finish this one, it will probably be done with it whether its perfect (or even passable) or not, haha. I'll edit in with it later. But I'll probably come crawling back once I start animation though, haha. Thanks again for your help.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 06:11:59 am
Not a problem dude. I've enjoyed playing around with this guy. He's such a unique looking character. He looks sooo agonizingly miserable. :D

And remember, the unimportant characters are usually the ones people remember the most in games -- so keep that in mind! They add the mood and flavor of a particular game, perhaps even moreso than the main character!

Also, one last suggestion before I move on too -- for animation's sake, you probably should be careful with the amount of shading you add (such as with Agent K's recent edit for example) because such detailed aa requires a lot of time per-frame to get looking right (this of course matters a little less if you have a lot of frames, but still, it's an important point to remember).

The contrast, however, doesn't require a lot of aa, so that should be possible to add pretty quickly/easily if you want a darker styled sprite. The main thing to remember is to put the shadows beside/beneath/around the parts you want to "lift" or "push/pull" forward and in different directions. Agent K did a lot of this pulling/pushing/lifting in his edit with the dark shadows.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your game. I'm loving the character concept for this guy lol. Can't wait to see others you come up with.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 06:44:48 am
But I'll probably come crawling back once I start animation though, haha.

As promised, here I am again nearly a year later. Just goes to show how slowly I'm going with this. :/

I'm trying to do the keyframes first, as in the past I've just done straight through.Obviously very much a WIP with little regard to detail. Am I headed in the right direction? Its feeling very wrong to me.

Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)