AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Need some advice on my latest piece.  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Lorath

• View Profile

[WIP][C+C] Need some advice on my latest piece.

on: November 22, 2014, 05:46:05 pm
Ey there everybody :)

So, I've been working on this piece now for some hours but unforunately I'm somehow stuck at the trees and maybe the mountains.
Any advice on the trees ? It's suppost to be a wood in the distance but I can't get it to look like it consists of trees rather than a huge pixel mess. I'll add overall lighting and shadows in the end, I just need to get the woods shape right. If you got any spare ideas on the gras in the foreground or the mountains in the background - just spit it out, I'm here to listen :)

Keep in mind, this picture is still in a heavy work in progress and far from beeing finished.

Picture with plain woods, 48 colors

Picture with somewhat blackened woods, 69 colors

EDIT:
tested out some new kind of water and turned out good! I'm going to redo the whole water now.

EDIT2:
Worked some more on the water
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:42:29 pm by Lorath »
A bite from a horse can definitely kill a hornet.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Need some advice on my latest piece.

Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 11:55:02 pm
Lots of things to fix in the scene eg lose the stark grey on the rocks by blending some hues in, then reduce background contrast and blend in some desaturated blue to simulate a bit of atmospheric perspective.

Nice water though.
u could (if u want) go with a stormy look which means ur whole scene would be coloured accordingly, storm clouds in sky, soft shadows etc (unless there's a patch where sun is beaming through clouds).
If I had water like that I'd be inclined to add a couple of rocks in the water to have the waves crashing on them.

Offline Lorath

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Need some advice on my latest piece.

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 12:26:15 pm
Thank you for your help.
I already got rid of the plain grey tones for the rocks and changed the hue a bit more. I'll add a small bit of desaturated blue in the end when the global shapes are right but I concur, simulating atmospherics is where I should go and is also planed from the beginning.

The water is somewhat adapted and redone out of Fools work. And yes, I'll go for a bit stormy look in the end and add more rock breakers on the edge of the cliffs. I also did some more work on the water and will update if I'm home.

Got any advice for my main problem: the forest ?
I worked on this too and fiddling around with some solutions. I will upload the update later.

Edit:

worked on the water, tried to find a better aesthetic for the forest and played around with hue.
The greenish big plains should actually indicate where the forest is present - it's just an placeholder with it's heighs. The forest itself is placed on it.

Fiddled around with the forest and I'm quite happy with my small results so far. I'll see how it'll be on a larger scale.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:15:52 pm by Lorath »
A bite from a horse can definitely kill a hornet.