AuthorTopic: What is your goal in pixel art? How do you plan on getting there?  (Read 12092 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile
What do you hope to achieve that would let you pixeldie happily? Do you hope to be the best tile artist, eleminiating the grid so effectively your art brings everybody into the game? do you hope to make the most fluid animations of anybody, your sub pixel tecniques exceeding that of 3d animation?
Do you hope to be a demoscene artist, having higher technical abilities than photoshop? do you hope to push all the knowledge of the computer aesthetic into your head, producing images that far exceed the conceptual process of any other artist?

How do you plan on getting there, Tremendous study of game art? extensive evaluation of artistic influence on the human mind?( at this point i have no idea what im talking about)

just post :P

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
Well I do this because it's fun. And I intellectualize later. So my rationalization of intent is along the lines of pushing the computer aesthetic, yes. As time goes by, being photorealistic with pixels seems to become less a worthwhile goal for me. But I want to do that too, just once, so I know I can do it. Just conceptual and thematic coherency is all I want to do, really. Art that isn't empty, with risks and investments from my side into it. That's all.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
personally, I'm an entrepreneur at heart.  I love pixel art, and my goal is to create and own a gaming company one day (most likely for mobile platform).  In order to lead such an endeavor, you must know everything about it.  That is why I am avidly involved with programming, art, as well as music.  I also study a lot into leadership and technical skills required to own a business (regardless of a gaming business or not).  As i once thought this was a childish dream, lately I've began to realize that it's not as far off as it seems.  I have been gaining more and more connections in various fields to fuel me in my endeavor.

thats just me.  I'd remain happy by being solely a game artist as well.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile
My goal is to pass the time.

Although I wouldn't mind doing it as a source of income, but I'm too lazy to bother with deadlines. I'd much rather just open paint whenever I feel inspired and throw something down than to be forced into it.

Offline Kren

• View Profile
My goal is to pass the time.

Although I wouldn't mind doing it as a source of income, but I'm too lazy to bother with deadlines. I'd much rather just open paint whenever I feel inspired and throw something down than to be forced into it.
agree, but for me it is a hoby something i do for friends, because im really bad getting an idea.

Offline Willows

• View Profile
My goal is to work myself up to what I could consider a competent pixel artist. To bring myself up to a level where I could work commercially if I felt so inclined would provide me a 'lil freedom in my future. Currently I'm building myself some character building skills, as well as working on not sucking at tiles and a plethora of other things.
The problem is I'll probably never be completely happy with myself. Aaaaaahh well, it's fun to toy with one's own mind.

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint
In this country, you gotta make the pixels first. Then when you get the pixels, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the woman.

... but seriously, I've always needed some sort of creative outlet. Currently it's pixel art. Previously it's been pencil drawing, painting, writing, photomanipulations, etc. As far as my future in pixel art goes, I've no real aspirations to do much more with it than as a hobby. Artistically speaking, I'd like to keep learning various styles and techinques and keep pushing my skills. Started out doing isometric work and slowly into my typical mirrored character faces.. now I'm trying to elaborate outside of that realm and use references to create images (such as my Aughra stamp).

All in all, pixelling is my way of meditation. Pixelling is my yoga.

Offline Rox

• View Profile
I don't have a long term goal. But a short term one I hope to achieve sometime relatively soon, is decent animation. I can do animation, but it takes me a full day's work to get a decent walk cycle work. That's not good, so I wanna improve on that. Hopefully, an education in 3D visualization I'm about to pick up might help me with that.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull
It keeps me off the drugs.

And the Streets...

And gives me something to do, a sort of easily accessable hobbie, I don't have to set much up, just open a programme. Plus I like to do it, creating something that looks good is o-so satisfying.

Offline jagged software

• View Profile
    • jagged spftware
Pixel first, ask questions later.
My goal is to be more like Skull. then I'll be pixel pimpin'.
Moving right along.. I'm not a pixel artist myself, but my goal is to help bring the old styles back. it's kind of hard because people were forced to do good dithering back in the 8bit and 16bit days, and now it's a lost art. There's only a few people I've seen who know how to use dithering and contrasting colors very well. and I plan to find them and commission them until they can't pixel anymore or atleast until they wear out a few mice or touchscreens.

Offline eghost

• Vagrant
    • View Profile
    • My Pixel Joint profile page
Mostly, I just do pixel art for fun...Given my current space constraints at home, popping out my airbrush and my easel is a no go, so I pixel...Plus I can do it while at work... :)

Eventually I've got a game idea or two rollin' around in my head that I'd like to get around to doing the art and code for...But it's not a crucial thing to me...Other benefit: Pixelling cuts down on my need to smoke... ;D

Offline Chilly

• n.n /
    • View Profile
My goal is to just be able to pixel anything I want quickly, easily and beautifully. I've still got a ways to go, but I'm almost there!

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile
My goal is to temporarily stave off boredom. I don't have the determination or desire to do anything that makes it seems like work. As soon as deadlines/pressure is introduced, fun is removed (for me).

Offline Silver

• View Profile
My goal was to be capable of these pixels and make a really good looking and great control-wise games
Though i have many things and studies"not art :(" to run among doing art so oh yeah well dream is being half destroyed.

My goal is to just be able to pixel anything I want quickly, easily and beautifully. I've still got a ways to go, but I'm almost there!

That is also one for me!

good luck to anyone anyway  :)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
like all else does, to expand consciousness, unify all, and improve upon what I've been in the past.

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile
Screw goals, i just do this for fun.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart
To be able to make pixel art as awesome as the people i admire, and to make a piece of the calibur of those saved to my HDD of which i spend too much time studying.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
Unlike the fine arts, i have no real ambitions when it comes to pixelart, and therefore no disappointments, but i also dont get better very quickly because im not driven.  i dont know, its a hobby, not a fixation.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest
just to improve and have fun :)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Huge

• View Profile
My goal is one day to be mistaken for an artist, instead of a programmer.  Long way to go.  Only way to get there is to spend more time doing it.  If only I had an infinite amount of time ...

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
i seem to be the only one with the extremist fantasy mind-set.  Quite embarrassing really.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile
i seem to be the only one with the extremist fantasy mind-set.  Quite embarrassing really.

Don't worry, you're not alone. You can comfort yourself with the fact that I'm much older then you, wich makes it even more sad.  ;D

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile
like all else does, to expand consciousness, unify all, and improve upon what I've been in the past.
Whoa.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart
@ indigo - you're very talented and soo young.  you've already worked on some great projects and thay Miuchiz might turn out to be massive.  I could definitly see you achieving your dream.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull
My goal is to be more like Skull. then I'll be pixel pimpin'.

I have a stalker!  :o

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles
I do pixel art because if I become good, I will be able to make games 100% by my own without kneeing down to find artists :P
Well...that's just a final goal. I'm afraid I will always need artists >.<

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile
Curiously, I got into pixel art while searching for desktop icons, which is enough to demonstrate how serious I am about it.

Fun. That's all I want from pixels. If I'm not having fun, then I won't pixel. The End.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
I pixel for fun at the moment, but I also hope to eventually make some kind of short movies simililar to those of Paul Robertson...

And of course make money off my pixels.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles
Do you want to prostitute your pixels ?