AuthorTopic: Low poly Vehicles  (Read 23386 times)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Low poly Vehicles

on: November 15, 2014, 09:45:42 pm
Heavily inspired by Kenneth Fejer, I wanted to do a bunch of low poly vehicles and assets, possibly selling them on the Unity assets store.
With that in mind, I'd really appreciate feedback on this first model, a basic car.

Tris: 102

Edit: Progress..

Edit 2: More Progress..

Edit 3:  Added a tank, it's hard to resist the urge of adding more polys. But it's good practice for faking depth and adding detail through textures.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:13:45 am by Seiseki »

Offline Gogglecrab

• View Profile

Re: Low poly Vehicles

Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:56:54 pm
This is marvellous! I mean seriously. My friend, these things... these things! (pardon my french) Are straight up. Hella fuckin' balls to the wall turn around slap it down and take em' into town all the way down to my stompin' ground bomb diggity bitchin'! :lala: Once more, I apologize for that but I just had to get it out...

Anyhow, needless to say I'm going to try this out for myself. Excellent work! :y:

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:27:47 pm
i love this kind of stuff too, i want to try it one day! your stuff looks great.

something i notice though - the yellow sports cars lighting seems off. like the bonnet (hood?) looks a bit odd for example, the horizontal part of it should be the same brightness as the roof of the car right?

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 12:49:52 am
Thanks guys :)

The top of the cars are brighter at the top to fake more depth, since the material is shaderless.
I don't know what to do with sloped angles, sometimes I give them extra brightness, sometimes I make them something inbetween the top/wall shading.
I guess I need something more consistent.

How is this? I feel like the top one is better.

update:

And just for fun..

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:32:53 am by Seiseki »

Offline Gogglecrab

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 03:52:16 am
Yep, now that I look at the two together I'd say the top is a definite improvement! :y: Love the new delivery boxes too!

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, do you model the textures off the vehicles or vice versa? And, what do you use to keep the pixels sharp when you UV map?

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 04:55:28 am
I like this. I would love to see a game with kind of simple, bright art. It would certainly be unique, and the game could do so much and run so smoothly when its not being bogged down by complex models with a million polys... which I think is a major appeal of all low res art.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 06:14:38 am
By the way, if you don't mind me asking, do you model the textures off the vehicles or vice versa? And, what do you use to keep the pixels sharp when you UV map?

Not sure what you mean by sharp. I disable interpolation and mipmaps in blender.
For the model I snap every vertex to a grid and then I snap the texture to pixels when UV mapping.

Offline Gogglecrab

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 09:02:38 pm
I've already figured that part of it out now but you were right; I was just curious as to how you kept the pixels from blurring when you rendered it. That's clever though, I enabled snap to pixels when texturing but I never would have thought of doing that with a grid for the mesh. Now you've really got me excited!

Offline DatMuffinMan

• ebogely
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/42966.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 01:24:33 am
the forms are all well done (I agree, the top one is better). maybe it'd look cleaner to remove the "dithering" on the tire rims? it just seems weird and lumpy instead of shiny.

Offline RAV

• View Profile
    • Blackbox Voxel Tool

Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 04:26:10 pm
Looks very charming.