AuthorTopic: [C+C] Portrait  (Read 2260 times)

Offline pyxelbit

• View Profile

[C+C] Portrait

on: November 08, 2014, 06:06:57 pm
a random face i did some days ago for fun. what can i improve?

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: [C+C] Portrait

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 02:41:53 pm
First off, you've done a very good job with this face :)

Which is the definitive version? The middle one or the right one?
The middle one has an outline and some freckles/noise, so it's unclear...
I like the right one better, so I'll base my critique off of that one :lol:
Hair:
  • Hair doesn't have same color depth as the face (just 2 colors instead of 4), dissonance of details?
  • Shape of some of the hairlocks at the forehead is unclear.
  • Some locks of hair change in width irregularly. For example, the rightmost one that goes over the headband.
  • The headband itself also became wider on her right side.
  • The thin hairlocks could benefit from some anti-aliasing

Face and rest:
  • Weird banding instance over her right eye (looks like small overlapping circles, can you spot it?)
  • Generally unclear shapes; lighting seems somewhat haphazard. I recommend simpler shapes. :)
  • Unneeded highlight on her left shoulder. Cloth is not glossy/shiny :P
  • The left end of her mouth crease seems to stretch out too far away (imo)
  • Banding along the outline of the lower part of the face (strips of shades that add no 'information').
  • The redder tone in the nose/lip is very similar to another color. The difference is barely visible (very minor nitpick).
  • The jaw-line is asymmetric.

You seem skilled with art, so the weird lighting/unneeded highlights throw me off :lol:
You should know/remember: the human eye sees less details in darker colors, so one should imitate this in art.
I generally try to avoid using the same color for shades and lines, since it reduces readability.
Of course, it remains a very valid approach, and many people make it work regardless ;)

Offline pyxelbit

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 10:05:33 pm
Thank you  :)

theres no definitive version. Left is a desaturated version. middle one is the one i did first, and the right one a is without the freckles/noise. i was unsure if it may be better with the freckles (at least in x2 scale)

your right, the hair isnt done to well. it was the last thing i did. looking back i could have done it better i guess. but your edit is perfect

i agree with everything else except the highlight on her shoulder. that was meant to be a different color like the stripes on her headband  ;D

i wouldnt say im that good with art, at least not with drawing and painting/pixelart. Im studying design but im focused more on typography, layout and so on. i love doing pixelart and from time to time i paint or draw something but theres so much to learn and im never really happy with the results :D

Thanks a lot for your comment and edit. really helpful :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 02:04:03 am
I can't actually see your images for some reason but I can see YellowLime's  :blind:
I use imgur personally because you can copy and paste, drag-and-drop etc. and it automatically stores in png and gif so your lovely pixels don't get corrupted  :y:
I used to use Photobucket but its become so full of crap now and ads etc. I'm over it!