AuthorTopic: (C&C)Overhead RPG Tile Map(WIP)  (Read 13768 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: (C&C)Overhead RPG Tile Map(WIP)

Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 08:08:37 am
Aaahh my eyes  :yell:
Please no interpolated upscaling, rather post 1:1 especially if you'd like people to make edits and suggestions.

Your tiles look very random its hard to tell what most of it is.
It also looks like you've created some squares then tried to think about what to put in them which is not the best way to plan out a tile sheet.
I'd say take your screenshot at 1:1 and load that into ur graphics editor and start painting on that to clean things up.
Once you get there I'd say step 1 is pick a light source and start painting over the line-art with light and dark colours.
Once you have something recognisable you start thinking about simplifying by cutting it into tiles...

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 09:18:51 am
Thanks for the advice on how to tackle the tile sheet.  I guess you mean something like this?

Here's my edits.

The first image is the size or "viewport" of the player's camera (the player would be centered though). This is what the player would be seeing on the screen. The second image is the entire "level". I'm mostly concentrating on the left side of the level right now.

I like the idea of the world being made of large square or rectangular tiles like Zelda. I also like the idea of "world" scrolling to the next part of the "world" when the player reaches the edge of the level. I created a large level test because it helps me imagine the big picture since I'm using small tiles and a small player character.

You're kinda right when you say I created squares and tried to think of things to put in it. I'm using a 256x256 tile sheet with 16x16 tiles. I was trying to pack everything I could into the sheet. My imagined game is like a mix of Elder Scrolls meets Shadow of the Colossus and Zelda. So in this case, I created tiles suited for a large fantasy swamp/marsh environment with ruined walls, a small house, statues, props, tiling textures, trees, rocks, etc.

Anyway, I'll continue working on this and post more refined updates soon. Should I be doing this in color?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:28:50 am by heyguy »

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 10:51:54 am
Here's a small update. The sun is bottom left casting shadows kind of diagonally to the right. I'm thinking I'm getting close to the point where I should start focusing on cutting and detailing tiles. Maybe coloring too? The stuff left of the cave is suppose to be brown bramble but had to make it white for now.

I feel like I can create a populate a large level with everything in this one snapshot/scene too. If need be.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:10:57 am by heyguy »

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 03:18:16 am
For making a new tileset...I'll usually just start with the ground tile, then copy-pasta it everyhwere all over the screen. If it's an indoor set, I'll make the walls next. Then I'll move onto other objects.

I just start with a sketch, and then start replacing parts of the sketch with tiles. You don't need to literally separate everything from tiles from the beginning, and I'd actually advise against it. You want to HIDE the fact that you're using tiles, not make it super obvious.

Also, why are all your tiles in black and white? Sorry if I missed it earlier. Having color in your scenes would make it MUCH more obvious what everything is.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 11:16:04 am
Thanks for the advice jams. Yah, separating everything from the beginning was a mistake. Creating the scene and painting over the sketch really has helped.

Been working on adding color to the scene now.

Edit: Made some slight color changes and re-uploaded a new pic.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 02:47:53 pm by heyguy »