AuthorTopic: Cute Space character Pixels (Maybe some help with characters side view) WIP  (Read 3231 times)

Offline AlienGalaxy

• View Profile
I started fooling around with these a couple days ago, her hair is abit bleh and needs more work, and I cant seem to draw the bodes well enough/ I am using a very poor version of gimp, but its what I know, and if i downolad anything else im afriad my computer will shut down as it is old and slow.

Alas, here they are.
They are heads only.. and still need some work

ASTRONAUT GIRL: I made her a lil astro helmet :)

ALIEN:

UPDATE
I Have Been gone awhile now and I started getting better at making the characters, i hope to have more time to work on this. I'm trying to work on the head and hair as a whole right now and different angles etc. I'll post a pic to show you all soon

If anyone can help me with the way their head looks from the side along with the hair that would be helpful. I cant seem to make it look well enough.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:28:51 pm by AlienGalaxy »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: Cute Space character Pixels (Needs Help!) WIP

Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 09:37:09 pm
Critique:
  • Too many colors in the face shadows. This is because you used digital brushes (like in Photoshop). Use a simple 'pencil' tool, that puts a single color.
  • Mouth can be small, but the color made it almost invisible. Use a color that contrasts enough, so that the mouth can be seen.
  • Random lines don't make for nice hair :lol: Hair is complex. Most people draw it as blobs, and then refine those blobs.
  • So that the circle looks good, don't let the line have more than 1px width ever. If you do, ugly jaggies appear.
  • There is a lot of asymmetry. You should, once in a while, take one half of the face, mirror it and paste on the opposite side.

Here's an edit. I didn't completely fix the asymmetry or reduce the colors, but it shows how it could be improved:

Offline AlienGalaxy

• View Profile

Re: Cute Space character Pixels (Needs Help!) WIP

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 11:18:33 pm
Thank you for your response I just got online, im going to try agaithanks for the help :)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Yo.

So first thing: be careful with and control your alpha channel.
With the type of stuff you are making you don't even really need one.
When it's turned off, this is what your file looks like:

The other files have the same thing going on.
I recommend you work with an RGB file until you need to use A.

Snap your stuff to a grid.
Especially stuff like this that is all variations of similar objects.
It will save you a lot of time moving things around and making new stuff:

Here's some more thoughts:
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline AlienGalaxy

• View Profile
Thank you for your critique I am working on them atm, yours and yellows do have more depth to them. I'm trying to change some things. Ty

The hair hasn't been worked on as much, but the eyes have been resized, I've taken the colors around the face and eyes off still a WIP

Attempting my first template

A few more...

OMG OMG i cant believe i made this and im excited! o.o

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:03:53 am by AlienGalaxy »