AuthorTopic: Catch up  (Read 2692 times)

Offline chipbit

• View Profile
    • Legend of the Chiaruscuro

Catch up

on: November 19, 2014, 01:15:45 pm
Wow, long time since I've been on here.

Right, since my first post http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=14057.0 I've been busy beavering away. Mostly coding but diving into photoshop now and again and shifting pixels around the place.

Trouble is I've been pretty much in a vacuum for the past year or the past couple of years so it's time to reach out to you fine folk for some pointers and advice before I start putting more time and effort into creating game art. I'm sure I've been picking up some bad habits and I know my sprites are a lot more "busy" than they need to be. I just can't stop adding stuff which I know is causing some issues with animation.

These are in date order from 2013 till now - just snippets and samples as everything is still WIP but these are the most polished.

Any and all help is welcome and greatly appreciated. Last time round it was humbling but necessary. Lets see if I can't step up a notch. :)

Oh and if anyone has any tips on torches, lamps and lighting, I'm all ears.

Piggy

Sci-Fi

Wrestler Character

WW1 German Troop

Victorian LoveCraft Characters
I am both terrified and reassured to know that there are still wonders in the universe, that we have not yet explained everything

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Re: Catch up

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 02:25:21 pm
Solid shapes and characters, a nice style all up. You have some wasted colours, particularly in that bull-man. I'de take a good look at what each shade is achieving and either combine shades or make them more distinct.

Offline Lux

• View Profile
    • Purple Pwny Studios

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 10:38:39 pm
I think it'd help you a lot to keep things simple and reduce the amount of colors you use per sprite, especially when they're this small. Your troop sprites have good poses that should read well, but the shading makes it feel cluttered and confusing. I'd say, stick to one or two shades per color (one or two shades of green for the helmet, for example). Also, things like the serrated edge on the knife, individual fingers, and individual teeth often read as noise, so I'd try to stick to pixel clusters rather than single or dithered pixels.

Offline chipbit

• View Profile
    • Legend of the Chiaruscuro

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 02:20:11 pm
Sweet, thanks for the feedback folks. I'll re-work these with some restricted colour pallets. :)
I am both terrified and reassured to know that there are still wonders in the universe, that we have not yet explained everything