AuthorTopic: SNES/GBA-ish Dark Mansion  (Read 5881 times)

Offline Sunjammer

• View Profile

SNES/GBA-ish Dark Mansion

on: November 04, 2014, 09:14:33 am

Am I doing the largely monochromatic thing right? Should everything be more the same color, or less of the same color (e.g. walls/floor)? Is the red in the yellow ramp okay? Why does it look so bad if the red value is straight yellow instead? Am I using too many colors for the style? Is the saturation TOO low? Do I suck at drawing? Stuff like that :blind:

I've messed with this a lot and done several revisions, I feel like I'm in the area of the moodiness/atmosphere I want now, with the image really dominated by the desaturated yellow, but it still feels like very poor art to me. Not sure if the drawing is inadequate or if it's mainly a color issue or both. I'm getting closer ... I think

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 09:17:27 am by Sunjammer »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: SNES/GBA-ish Dark Mansion

Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 11:10:56 am
Looks great keep it up  :y:

The patches of colour among the monochrome are spaced in a regular pattern that highlights the grid.
You could break this up a bit by running a trim along the skirting board or something.

You could try making the wall behind between the pillars to be a different hue to suggest a different material such as wood or plaster.

It think its a little weird to have a wall on the left of the door but then suddenly a window on the right side.
Just seems like a door that leads outside would normally have symmetry in this kind of architecture.

If you want a variation tile you could make a window with the curtains closed and hide a secret behind the curtain as a reward for spotting the difference  :lol:

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 03:14:14 pm
The floor tiles are a little visually noisy, and at first i wasn't sure what the light shining on them from the windows was supposed to be. Really nice overall, though.

Offline melbow

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 10:07:41 pm
Really well done. The only thing that stands out to me is that the light from the windows should mix with the texture from the floor where it reflects. It being a solid color makes it stand out too much and look like it's almost floating on the surface.

Offline Fickludd

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 12:39:50 pm
Wow, I find this really sweet myself.

I find your floor-textures pretty wierd... for me the specular reflections of the windows on the floor strongly indicates highly polished marble. When you get marble floor they are usually pretty exactly tiled, so I think a more regular pattern would make more sense. Also the carpet looked very uneven to me, which is wierd considering that it would likely be very heavy.

Made a super-rough edit (out of my league, but it was fun =))

Offline Sunjammer

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 08:12:24 am
Thanks for all the  advice guys, that was really insightful about the floor reflections Fickludd. I did intend to have texture in them but never got around to it, but that idea about the marble is ace.

I would def like to have closed curtain variations, adds some mystery.

I feel like there's larger problems in this related to how I'm using hues or saturation which make it feel uncomfortable to me, but all the art/light/color theory knowledge I've absorbed isn't leading me to identifying and fixing it.

I tried out a quick diamond floor like suggested and my first light animation ;

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 08:14:24 am by Sunjammer »

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 03:50:38 am
Hey I figured I'd post my edit here as well, so the pros can give some feedback in relation to it.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 11:07:50 pm
The glossy floor makes it really hard to read at once, it looks like a continuing wall. I'd drop it if there's no compelling reason for it (or try to suggest it in another manner).
Snader's edit improves it, but not totally, as the light is conflicting with the volumes: the floor next to the windows should be brighter than elsewhere, all the more so that the other light sources look dim.

The diamond pattern would help a lot, too, as it would create an immediate and obvious distinction between floor and walls.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 07:47:50 pm
Here's another edit, with a few points:

Main problem holding you back is readability of the forms. You seem to have a good grip on the colors and the sort of style you want, the rest is a balancing act of priority.

The doors are a pathway into another room, so they should pop out to the extent that it seems intuitive to go toward it. The floors should be less contrasty because you need to be able to establish a flat plane and easily see the sprites that would be walking across it. Walls can be brought out a bit to show the structural planes of the building and lighten up a bit. I would reiterate the point about the reflection of the windows as well. Remember that bounce light can never be as strong as the light source that it's coming from.

I like what you have, and want to see you push it further. Good luck.