AuthorTopic: Long time lurker, first time poster  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Atlantean

• Never play leap frog with a unicorn
    • View Profile

Long time lurker, first time poster

on: August 09, 2006, 02:58:27 pm
And by long time lurker I mean I used to lurk on the original Pixelation forums.  Anyway, I consider myself mostly a spectator in the world of pixelart, hence my lurking.  I am a mechanical engineer not an artist my art skills are umm... basic.  Every now and then I do some stuff mostly because of what I see some of you guys do makes me want to at least try it.

So here is a 3 frame animation.  I really wanted to try to do form and dithering on this little bugger.  I am partially colorblind so picking colors and stuff is very, very frustrating to me so I will always welcome help on my coloring.  I have some lineart I am going to post in the big thread at the top but I figured its about time I register.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Long time lurker, first time poster

Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 03:06:59 pm
welcome to pixelopolis :)
in the animation, the arms move very well imo. but the feet dont seem to take on a walking movement at all.
in som eplaces i think that the dithering works, in the bandanna it gives off the effect of wrinkles and it gives a nice texture in the shirt. that being said, its usually not a good idea to dither skin, even in larger sprites.

Offline Atlantean

• Never play leap frog with a unicorn
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 03:48:09 pm
Yeah I agree with the legs.  I guess it looks more like a wobble than a walk.  I will see what I can do about that and the dithering on his face.  Thanks.

EDIT:  I would really love someone to help me with the colors and palette because that is always the place I have the hardest time.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 03:58:49 pm by Atlantean »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 02:46:11 am
I don't think such a small character would ever need any 'dithering', I tried cleaning it up, raised the saturation of this little character and I think it'd look like such a cute character to play in a game..

well when it comes to his walking, the arm movements look pretty good but yeah its the legs that look really let it down.. plus the fact that you've added a shadow makes it really hard to notice where the legs are moving to, giving it a wobble.. I think its the grey (metal) bits on his legs that need altering to show his foot's being lifted..

good job
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 02:49:28 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..