AuthorTopic: Derivitave, generic RPG sprite madness!  (Read 9548 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Derivitave, generic RPG sprite madness!

on: August 08, 2006, 10:38:51 pm
Been a while since I've done any typical RPG sprites. They were what got me started pixelling in the first place, though, and a couple days ago I decided to do some for nostalgia's sake.

Result:

Wish I still had some of my old ones for comparison sake, but needless to say, I think I've come a long way. That's not to imply that these are quality, though. I'll leave that decision up to you guys. Crit me!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 08:56:25 pm by Tremulant »

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Re: Derivitave, generic RPG sprite madness!

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 11:03:33 pm
I never cease to enjoy your choice of colors  :D the only thing i really see is that they look really fat. esp the first one.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 11:32:06 pm
very nice colouring, they look like characters that you would find in an rpg  ;) , if that helps.. I can almost imagine what it'd be like to play the game..

don't think they look to fat, it just adds character to the.... characters.  :-\
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 11:45:52 pm
Lol, i wouldn't call them fat... more like, 'chunky'  ;)

Really quite awesome tremulant. I was playing zelda minish cap today and the 3rd one reminded me of the guards in that. Although far better (although sort of a different style).

You making any more?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 12:11:33 am
these are really well-rendered and perfectly readable, my only concern is that the lack of neck makes them look a bit awkward.  i suggest pushing all the heads up 1 px.  even as-is though these kick rediculous amount of ass
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 12:21:35 am
The bottom one is by far the best out of these - perhaps one of the best rpg sprites ive seen this year.

Dont you dare stop making these now - make animations, more characters and tilesets, indoors and out.  With any luck you might be able to find someone to develope it.  A tremulant style game would most probably make me orgasm.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 12:23:29 am by Feron »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 06:45:56 am
These are beyond awesome. :o
Flawless.

Now make 'em move!

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 07:01:50 am
Man.. these are SO generic and derivitave of other RPGs' sprites. Good job!

Love these! Please either -animate them OR -make a mock up. Please~
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 07:58:07 am by Frychiko »
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Shifty McSly

• the Master Thief
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 07:04:46 am
Pretty sweet. My only crit is, as has already been mentioned, the heads of the bottom 2 are too low, their shoulders are actually covering their ears! Very, very nice other than that.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 07:25:24 am
Love these! Please either -animate them OR -make a mock up. Please~
NO! No mockups. It will be far too tempting and the knowledge that it's not a real game will make my head asplode.
Instead, make a real game. ;D

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 11:37:37 am
Fantastic Trem, simply fantastic. the colours the shading and the characters in general all work really well.

1 crit though. compaired to the last 2 (especially the 3) the perspective for the first one looks out of whack, I cant really put it to words so...

I know this is partially because he's fat but from the front fatness isn't implied well due to the shading. it looks like the cloth is just hanging down. maybe shading a subtle bulge in would help somewhat.

I hope you get what im trying to say

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 11:58:32 am
Great palette, great style...I love it ^^

If I had not so many projects, I would put my programming skills under your service :P

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 12:57:48 pm
Fantastic Trem, simply fantastic. the colours the shading and the characters in general all work really well.

1 crit though. compaired to the last 2 (especially the 3) the perspective for the first one looks out of whack, I cant really put it to words so...

I know this is partially because he's fat but from the front fatness isn't implied well due to the shading. it looks like the cloth is just hanging down. maybe shading a subtle bulge in would help somewhat.

I hope you get what im trying to say

I don't think that's true. I think you're exaggerating your lines there a little too much to try to prove a point. On the second picture you're drawing the blue lines from the very edge of is armour to the center of his feet. On the first picture you're drawing the lines from the middle of his shoulders to the outside of his feet. I also think you're misreading the placement of their feet and armour with perspective. The one guy is only wearing armour on his upper body, and because armour is pretty large, it gives the appearing of his upper body being larger than his lower body/legs, thus making a false perspective. The other large guy has his feet spread a little wider than the others, giving another false appearance. But I don't think this is a problem, he's a big guy, he has to spread his weight out. I don't think there's any wrong perspectives between any of the sprites.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 01:43:00 pm
I think there IS a problem with the fat guy's robe coloring though - the other characters darken quite visibly toward the bottom of the sprite, while the fat guy looks relatively flat/isometric - a little more shading there would help a lot.  Love the knight!!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 03:26:38 pm
adam's right on this one.  gradual darkenning will also give a chance to refine the fat shape a bit more
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 08:55:40 pm
Update.

Alkaline: They're actually meant to be a bit on the chunky side. Just a stylistic thing, I suppose... Do you think it detracts from them? I dunno, I'm always open to suggestions on style. ;)

Terley: Thanks!

Lar: Never got very far in Minish Cap, so I'll take your word for it. Apparently I will be making more, too. :D

Adarias: I see what you mean... I quickly tried moving the head up a pixel, though, and felt it looked.. off. Maybe with some tweaking I'll get to like it. I'll mess around with it, anyway, and see what comes of it, 'cause they do look a bit stunted. :P

Feron: Never given an orgasm from quite so far away before. Might be a worthwhile experience. ;) Anyway, I'm working on it; the tiles and stuff, I mean, so we'll see how it goes (check my record for follow through first, though, so you don't get your hopes up).

Xion: Thanks! I'm on it!

Frychiko: Hopefully, someday, I'll work out some kind of plot and find a coder or something and take it beyond mock up stage. Not likely to ever happen, though... again check the record... but I can pretend, right? ;)

Meta|fox: I see what your saying, and although your diagram might be exaggerated a bit, I think it makes it's point. Might have something to do with the priest's shape, or maybe I just fucked up :P Honestly not sure. maybe the new version is better?

Fil_razorback: Thanks! I might be looking for someone in the future, so I'll keep you in mind ;D

Dusty: I think you pretty much got what I was going for (armor making the soldier appear to have a larger upper body, and misinterpretation of foot placement leading to apparent perspective discrepancies). When I started the priest, though, he wasn't meant to be fat. That only happened later, when I made the side view. If you look at the tips of the feet (that show in the priest front view) you'll see that they line up with the tips of the soldier's feet (I hope, unless I screwed up). The feet look off 'cause they're hidden under the robe (I think).

Adam_Atomic: I think I fixed it in the update. Thoughts?

Thanks for the crits/compliments/general showing of interest, guys! I'll be updated more in the future, so keep the crits coming. Next up, I think, is a female base, which I'm currently finding a bit tricky. Any suggestions on how to go about it in the current style would be much appreciated.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 10:14:09 pm
 I can't seem to stop liking it! Sexy ass sprites!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 10:17:22 pm
actually i was wrong, moving the head up doesnt really help the sprite.  moving the entire arm including the shoulder down though im looks best.  new ones rock incrdedibly hard :D
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006, 10:19:42 pm
Feron: Never given an orgasm from quite so far away before. Might be a worthwhile experience. ;) Anyway, I'm working on it; the tiles and stuff, I mean, so we'll see how it goes (check my record for follow through first, though, so you don't get your hopes up).

Well if you do not ever complete this "project" then you will have an angry mob after your ass!
Seriously though, the're pretty awesome stylistically aswell as technically.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 01:01:09 am
DAMMIT TREMULANT.

Really nice, really really nice. The hair on the new one (with hair..) looks awesome from behind, but those odd 'horns' of hair at the front dont seem to look like part of his hair to me. I'm sure you can fix that...  :P

Just realised how large their ears are, and i think they seem larger on the new blonde guy because they are clearly separated from his head with dark lines (rather than the first). His armour also looks great, but i think you'd see the cape running behind/beside his legs in the head-on view.. right? Although it's not head-on to the viewer... and adding that would probably make the perspective oddenized, but i think the complete dissapearence of it looks a bit off  :-\

I can't see anything else 'wrong' with the rest atm, they're all a real treat.  :)

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 03:26:13 am
These are very well done, and I honestly see no problem with the size of the characters.  It seems since they're all around the same size, that could be their average width, not fat or slim?  The colors blend so well.  You should seriously get into a paid RPG project.  Very nice work, and inspiring as well.