AuthorTopic: [C+C] [WIP] Exodus (Espiritus iudicium/ Espiritus botanica)  (Read 14712 times)

Offline lolzolaura

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart

Re: [C+C] [WIP] Tree-judge-armour-thingy

Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 11:49:13 pm
I have decided to start over. Trying to make the armor look more believable, and probably adding some little branches sticking out of it. I think that will be a better way of showing that there is no actual human inside it than offsetting parts of the armor.
So here I have a not necessarily better tree, with branches instead of thorns and some more "bushy" blotches for the leaves. Branches underneath will also be visible at places.

As the base I will be working from, with some basic shading added.

I will definitely do something with your feedback, don't worry :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 07:42:06 am
i dont think working in such a restricted canvas is doing u any favors.

is this supposed to be a sprite for a game?
if so, u should post a rough mock-up of the scene in the game's resolution with the hero sprite shown.
i also wonder if this is a boss something that would be found running around the game world?

Offline lolzolaura

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart

Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 07:56:28 pm
It is a boss for use in RPG Maker. If that is what you want to know.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 08:33:04 pm
I don’t think I’ve seen a tree puppeteer-ing a suit of armour before – it’s a cool idea  :y:.

It is a moving tree, how does it otherwise impersonate a guy wearing armour. All in all, it is sentient, and moves.

They’re saying - does it walk about, or it is fixed and just waves limbs?

I assumed a fully walking tree in a sort of mangrove style like a spider ‘cos it seemed more fun (if you preferred the big gnarly roots you could look at English Oak and Chestnut).

The comments about construction are probably aimed at some of the wobbly shapes and proportions; branches don’t seem to taper and idk what the spiky bits are. For the canopy I’d say less ‘blobby’ and more of a major mass with some ‘children’ for variety. Form-wise try lighting basic geometric stuff before texturing; the stamping patterns you've used I kinda like, but make sure they wrap around the underlying shapes. You seem to doing a bunch of this stuff in the pencil sketch already so apply it!

I didn’t get around to the armour, but it looks a bit invented: find a nice reference for proportions and materials first, and you can stylise however you want. atm your shading just doesn't look very confident; it’s hugging the edges a bit. I’d lose the legs of the latest ver. and probably the gauntlets too; you could maybe have the roots popping out to hold stuff.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:24:56 pm by Facet »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 01:38:02 am
What perspective are you going for?
I thought u were making a side scroller based on ur image.
I've never used rpg maker but from what I've seen it's normally more of a top-down engine?

In my mind this boss would be stationary, perhaps blocking access intentionally, and the roots coming up out of the ground make the Armour move. There could even be separate roots for the different parts of Armour even.
You COULD make the tree move around too, there's nothing wrong with that except it's like mixing multiple elements which seems unnecessarily complicated to make and to look at as a player.
Plus a large stationary tree would look more badass Confidently dominating more of the scene than having a smaller sprite that runs around all over the place.

Offline lolzolaura

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart

Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 04:52:56 pm
@Decroded: You know sideview battle systems? It is for use in that kind of system. I would animate it. I want to finish this first, then I'll start on an overworld sprite. More specific, it is Final Fantasy style sideview, with party on the right, enemy on the left.

@Facet: I got the feedback to start working from a humanoid base, even if there is no actual human in the final piece. For reference I have walked around in a nearby forest. The tree I want to use is an oak actually. ("Europese Eik" I have no idea what it's called in English. It has rounded leaves and a rather smooth surface on the trunk, as opposed to the spiky leaves of the "Amerikaanse Eik" American Oak) I'll take a pic if I go there again. Something with getting home from the archery range and it's getting late already.

The tree walks around AND waves limbs. The scene it would appear in would go as follows: The party enters a throne room. There is a guy in armor standing there. The guest member points out who the guy really is. Cue his transformation into the Tree in question. Some boastful ham-y text and start of battle.

(I probably should have added this information to the original post)

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 11:08:15 pm
Ok, that's a bit different, I think, from what everyone was guessing at. keep the legs then, yes, that would be a giveaway.

I'm not sure that the second back to basics version is an improvement; like Decroded mentioned it's looking a little squeezed in, if it might be quicker for you to design on paper, why not do so and transfer it more literally?

The Europese Eik seems to be English Oak, yeah, we just have a short-sighted naming system here on my island. There's a whole bunch of oaks on the mainland but that one has distinctive rounded lobes at the base of the leaf and carries the nut on a long stalk. Can live for many 100's of years and get nice and twisty.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 10:04:46 am
it is Final Fantasy style sideview, with party on the right, enemy on the left.
oh right, yeah that perspective is very forgiving.

Offline lolzolaura

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart

Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 01:35:47 pm
And again, an update:

Further working out the tree. The guy is next. Also, I want to get an idea of what it looks like when the tree is left bare.
Added in "the sun" for the direction of the lighting.

Offline lolzolaura

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart

Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 02:27:42 pm
Still working on it. Didn't have much time because of school and stuff.

Adding a texture to the tree.

I am still working in greyscale for this part. I hope to put down the basic shapes of the armor  after I finish texturing.