AuthorTopic: Improvements for my little squirrel.  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Hoche

• View Profile

Improvements for my little squirrel.

on: October 21, 2014, 06:25:31 am
Hello,
I have made a little squirrel for my arcade game but it doesn't look enough like a flying squirrel which glides down. It's a very simple art and I haven't the skills to make it better. Would be really nice, when someone could reply with some improvments.

The original width and height is about 47x23. I don't really know how I should make the tail but the animation makes it better.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:37:58 pm by Hoche »

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Re: Improvements for my little squirrel.

Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 05:12:38 pm
Quote from "READ THIS BEFORE POSTING":

One more thing to keep in mind: Pixelation comes with a zoom feature on all images inserted using the [img] tag. Click to zoom, shift/ctrl click to reduce zoom level by one, alt click to reset zoom. Please make use of it, and save your images at 100% zoom if it's not absolutely intended to be viewed at a higher zoom level.

Please don't post scaled up stuff as it makes it harder to do edits. Thanks!

Offline Hoche

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 05:23:10 pm
Now I understand this point correctly. Thanks.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:15:29 pm
I thought it was a hat at first glance.
Can u draw him at different angles like have him turn from left to right as he glides?
I think any angles u can give him will make it easier.
it also looks strange to have a pure red ramp. I would explore a mix of Greys and Chesnut colours perhaps.

Offline Hoche

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 09:45:40 am
Hey thanks for the reply. I improved him also a little bit by my own and will upload the image later.  The red head shall be a helmet which can be also changed to other colors in my game.  I am not such a good drawer that I really now how I should draw it in different angles. When it glides from left to right it only rotate. Can you perhaps help me with the angles I think it would look great.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 12:24:50 pm
maybe something along the lines of this rough sketch.
i know its not cartoony but u could always go cartoon style

i used this reference because it makes me lol - http://njpest.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/flying+squirrels.jpg
i flattened out his angle a bit compared to the reference assuming this was better for gameplay (don't know why) but if u can have as much angle as the reference it would be even better.

Offline Hoche

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 12:33:16 pm
This looks really great. But I can't master such good art that's the reason that it looks like it looks. I also don't wanted to go in such detail. Is there a way to make an angle to my squirrel?
It only should have few pixels.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:36:30 pm by Hoche »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 02:42:52 pm
something like this perhaps?

progress:

Offline Hoche

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 03:14:25 pm
WTF thats looks awesome but a little bit angry. Would be so great when I could draw like this. I upload my improvement but this only contains the colors and the ears and not the angle. This improvement was before your posts. I hope that it now doesn't look like a hat anymore.

And one question, are you a professional?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 10:12:28 pm
No not pro, I work too slow and stuck in full time job already  :blind:
Originally I was looking at ur sprite on my phone which is why I thought it was all red. Since then I can see it has browns.
Note what I did with the shading on the fur, the lightest colour uses a different hue. It's good to use a mix of hues in ur ramps.
I think a different colour underneath and maybe the tail too is a good idea, such as the white u have now.
especially if u plan to make him tilt up and down aas the colour provides a visual signal whether he's in fall or glide mode.
Generally in pixel art we avoid or reduce the use pure black/white though as it seems a bit unnatural.
normally I would have worked over the outline to make it more selective.