AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C]Protector of planets  (Read 3111 times)

Offline winkatawink

• im winkatawink
    • View Profile

[WIP][C+C]Protector of planets

on: October 19, 2014, 06:22:54 pm
a little project I'm working on atm. I made a little mockup below:

Criticism is welcome!! (also i know the background's pixels are 2x the other sprites, I'm working on that :p) I was wondering how I could maybe give the rocks/planet a little more texture. At the moment they look really flat due to the pillow shading. I'm working on a couple more rock sizes and im re-touching other sprites. Thanks!
ey what up

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C]Protector of planets

Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:55:10 am
Looks like your planet and rocks could do with a load more contrast, and a bit more variety in the hues.

I'd also take a look at the outlines on your ship. You seem to go very dark at the base of each vertical line, which creates these 2x2 pixel chunks that cause it all to look a bit rough. It looks like the style might benefit from not having an outline. I wonder how it would look if you replaced those near black outline pixels with the normal outline color, then remove the rest of the outline?

Offline winkatawink

• im winkatawink
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 04:48:34 pm
Thanks very much for the feedback :) is this a little better?

I fixed the background, and played a little bit with the outlines of the sprites. I made the outlines on the ship lighter, though I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do? I gave both the rocks and the planet more hue variety and I tried doing some dithering on the rocks. I increased the contrast on these sprites too.

I feel like the ship has too much detail, which makes it stand out a bit much, what do you guys think?
ey what up

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:52:06 pm
some quick edit on how you can shade the planet

If you google planet, youll see alot of images where the dark side of the planet is nearly black, or even just blends in with the space behind it.  You can go pretty high with the contrast on them.

Offline winkatawink

• im winkatawink
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 09:24:31 pm
Thanks for the help, dude :) I've been on and off working on this project over time. Here's my most recent mockup:

I tried making the background a little lighter, which i think brings out some of the objects on the stage. I took advice and slightly increased the contrast on the planet. I also added some new meteor sizes and gave the small meteors a makeover. I'm now working on some mugshots of characters in the game which will appear during cutscenes. Here's what I came up with...

(animated)

I'm not too sure if the proportions are correct and the mouth movement looks a little strange to me... or is that just the frame timing? Feedback would be appreciated! :D
ey what up