AuthorTopic: [C+C] Mobile game background  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Phoenix849

• olegklishinart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/45959.htm
    • View Profile
    • olegklishin.com

[C+C] Mobile game background

on: October 16, 2014, 09:43:41 pm
Hello, fellow pixel masters. I'm working on a background for a mobile game. It's a poor district of some town. At this point I'm happy with amount of details, but something feels wrong. Does it feel bland because of the colors, or something else...

The game will be about the guy jumping on the wires, so I'm afraid of using saturated colors for the background, because player should concentrate on catching the right spot on the wires. Smoke from the pipe will be animated, and plane will slowly fly. Brick wall at the bottom is a place for UI and controls. The character will probably stay the same. In game everything is scaled x4.

I'm looking for more juicy and "fun" look perhaps.

Art portfolio and social media links: olegklishin.com

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Mobile game background

Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 10:47:25 pm
Why is the character so much blockier than everything else? I can tell from the feet that its the same resolution as the rest of the piece, but then head looks like it was made from pixels 2x as big as the everything else. That looks pretty bad, in my opinion.

I really like the background though. It looks nice and I really don't have much to offer on that.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline Phoenix849

• olegklishinart
    • View Profile
    • olegklishin.com

Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 10:58:22 pm
Thanks for coming by. I know about the "blockiness" of the character. It came from the client as it is. We will probably discuss what could we do about him.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 12:34:55 am
I like the background though I definitely think you could add some hue shifting and bring in some warm yellow sunlight.

I don't like the most foreground bricks though, I think you should explore some larger and more interesting structural designs, perhaps pillars and bricked over archways etc, if ur going to fill that much screen space. You should probably darken it off into some kind of shadow area if bottom leads to nothing but unplayable space, while the top line of it should have some more sunlight hitting it to stand out.

I don't like the barbed wire. It's too black, too straight and just seems to conflict with scenes perspective somehow.
Perhaps use it sparingly and make it all broken and twirly sections here and there with bent posts and stuff to make the place look run down.

I also think you need do something with how the background buildings connect to the ground, add some trees or cars or something.
try varying the colour of some buildings a touch.

As mentioned please don't mix resolutions like you've done on foreground character that looks horrible.

Offline Phoenix849

• olegklishinart
    • View Profile
    • olegklishin.com

Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:50:23 pm
Here is the current version so far. Also new char version. Next will be working on GUI at the bottom.

I don't like the barbed wire. It's too black, too straight and just seems to conflict with scenes perspective somehow.
It needs to be straight for gameplay purposes.

I also think you need do something with how the background buildings connect to the ground, add some trees or cars or something.
try varying the colour of some buildings a touch.
I think I'm happy with the current bg. Tried adding some trees but haven't come up with anything good.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:48 am
messed around a bit.
i thought the pixels on the roof were distractingly harsh so i smoothed out a small section fyi.

Offline Phoenix849

• olegklishinart
    • View Profile
    • olegklishin.com

Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 06:20:46 pm
messed around a bit.
i thought the pixels on the roof were distractingly harsh so i smoothed out a small section fyi.
Wow, man, thank you! This is ace! That's exactly what was missing. I never thought about a fence :(.

I was working on char animations, but this definitely looks more "interesting" in terms of scenery. Won't you mind if we design from your edit? I hope I'll eventually become better with interesting compositions.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 11:06:01 pm
Go for it.
It doesn't matter what u put I just thought either it needed another layer to block out the ground level background (cheap option) or u were going to need to add some detail to the ground level in background.

I'm still curious about the gameplay reason for why the barbed wire needs to be perfectly straight.

Offline Phoenix849

• olegklishinart
    • View Profile
    • olegklishin.com

Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 11:23:27 pm
I'm still curious about the gameplay reason for why the barbed wire needs to be perfectly straight.
Here is an early prototype gameplay video. Abdul is jumping on the wires, the player needs to collect eggs and avoid electricity. I fear that curved wire will be pretty messy. I had a hard time of hitting the exact spot on wires when played it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vji19DJPpAY

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 12:33:07 pm
im totally confused after watching that lol.

well anyway if its electric wires and there is no scrolling then probably need some insulated support poles on either side so we know what we're looking at.
a danger sign wouldn't hurt either (pun not intentional).

also just to point out ive never seen an electric fence made of barbed wire, probably because it would be too hard to feed it through the holes in the insulated support rings.