• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Sniper

on: October 14, 2014, 08:14:07 pm
Early Wip of the next character,
This time it will be a sniper - I am currently at the early steps of the pose design.

I want to have a secretive pose, preferably a bit hunched over.

The sniper rifle will get pretty long and in terms of using it later in the conversation I think it's better to keep it at a more vertical angle
The red line shows about where the figures will be cut.

the process so far and what I came up with:

pose 1) here I tried mainly to nail the feeling I want, it's a mid-motion pose like the steamfantry
pose 2) the static approach, mainly tried what happens if I lower the gun, what will be adisadvantage is that the gun will take up a lot of horizontal space, colliding most probably with other sprites.
pose 3) after playing around with both approaches and acting in that's what I came up with and liked most.
The weight is mainly on the foot further away from the viewer, the front leg will come forward (closer to the viewer) - the gun should come a bit forward as well balancing it out - and could be much longer. It's a non-stiff standing pose like most other characters have and which I think works best for the intented use.

Where I am looking for help is if pose 3 has everything I want to tell the viewer, or maybe someone has some other ideas/images in mind worth to share.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:27:52 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Cream

• View Profile

Re: Sniper

Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 01:01:08 pm
Hello!

I'm surprised on how you keep your focus in this work. I'm not so good on anatomy, but I tried to do an edit:

The sniper supports his rifle on his shoulder, and the other hand is free. I also put it in a less 'offensive position', knees are not flexed. Tried to give a patient feel on him. Depending on how you think detail it, I think is a good idea make it smoking a cigarrete.

I hope you understand, friend!

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 02:11:59 pm

Looks to me about exactly what I did with the light cavalry. There aren't by far enough different poses so far, that I'd recycle them for the artworks.

Put more work in the current pose sketch.
Mainly pushed the hips forward, worked on the hunched over pose, tried to get the weighting and the greedy and sinister look alright.

Also made a really fast (and really sloppy) redline overpaint, which mainly is there for illustrating the shilouette in the conversation, would need to be done more carefully If I decide to move on with the current base.
So apply every form to critique to the "skeleton"

some concept sketches:

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 04:39:27 pm
I might be nitpicking, but I feel that your bolt action rifle concept is far to modern as compared to your other stuff.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 06:34:01 pm
I might be nitpicking, but I feel that your bolt action rifle concept is far to modern as compared to your other stuff.

Yea, I know its supposed to be a sniper rifle but I feel like open sights would match the other pieces better. Or maybe something more like a telescope than a modern scope?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:42:32 pm by PsylentKnight »
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 06:55:56 pm
Yeah, I kinda think of Caitlyn from League of Legends. If you look she uses a musket though.

Two things that are iconic to snipers are gillie suits and bolt action rifles.

Bolt action rifles go back as far as the 1800s so a bolt action rifle will work with this 1840s alternate universe industrial revolution era?(Posing as a question because I am unsure if 1800s or early 1900s theme here) But I feel the modern attachments are out of place i.e. Tactical Scope, flash suppressor, hand-guards w/ holes for air cooling.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 07:59:22 pm
Flash surpressors are a known technology in my world, even the Stormcrow has one attached to their weapon.
neither 18th nor 19th century in the common sense, it's an alternative universe, there are different technologies at hand.

Scopes however aren't a big technological success.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_%28optics%29

Will definitely do some more design sketches and iterations, the stuff here is just for early communication regarding to pose stuff.

pose:
-changes at the arm
-perspectivical changes
-more careful placed muscle lines

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:01:40 pm by Cyangmou »

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 10:27:43 pm
The pose you've gone with looks good and convincing to me.

To the brief of a sniper hunched, accustomed to wariness: the gun hoisted up mid-action like that seems maybe uncharacteristic, you could equally hold lowered without sticking out too much. I imagine a pretty wiry physique.

Telescopes don't seem out of place, but I know nearly nothing about guns, and bayonet on a sniper?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:34:12 pm by Facet »

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 05:01:00 am
love the pelvis tilt, this figure looks a lot more weighted/dynamic. good job.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 11:49:18 am
Telescopes don't seem out of place.

Telescopes aren't out of place and I'm well aware that they are not a recent technology.
Tactical Scopes of the same form as the one in the concept drawing however, uses highly refined lenses of which didn't come till later.
Anyway, its a non-issue if he isn't basing his universe of an Earth era as I had previously assumed.