AuthorTopic: Mech  (Read 6669 times)

Offline odedrt9

• View Profile

Re: Mech

Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 06:57:07 am
First of all, sorry I didn't have a chance to answer until now :-X
I'm will quote once for the sake of shortening the message.

Thanks for the detailed critic and tips!
It was really helpful! I understand what you said about the form and colors and I will definitly apply that in the future.
And yes, it was for practice(I more the coding guy than the artist.. But I love pixel art so I'm trying from tome to time to do stuff).

Thank you for your reply.
TBH I don't like to mess with the sprite because *usually* it turns out even worse xD But that might be only me lol
But I understand what you said.

Thanks for the reply.
I love your edit and I can clearly see the difference in the form, shape and shades.

Again thank you all for your time, you really helped me  :)

Offline Amorphous

• AmorphousPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43158.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 11:29:36 pm

@Dennis and astraldata: I'm short on time, so I can't respond with the length of post that you two deserve, but I definitely appreciate you (politely!) discussing this. :) Naturally the three of us have had different experiences with art and won't agree on every detail, but it's clear now that I objected to what you, astraldata, wrote mainly because I misinterpreted you. Sorry I was so brisk!

@oderdrt9: Apologies about derailing your thread. :-[ I look forward to watching this improve; good luck!

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 09:07:25 am
Also, you have a valid point about saying too much tending to cause confusion and, potentially, conflict. Apparently I caused that in this thread.
I do not wish what I am writing now to be understood as objection to that, more as (potentially pretentious) "wisdom" projecting own experience, so here it goes:
If "conflict" is on your mind, "conflict" is what you feel. If "exchange of thoughts" is on your mind, "exchange of thoughts" is what you feel.

That latter supposedly lets one stay calm and emotionally detached whereas the first is bound to cause some mild personal turmoil. The "trick" is to attempt describing everything which happens with neutral/factual words without placing value or judgement on it. Granted, this is not easy and I do not claim to have mastered it myself (keyword: Zen philosophy) and I still become easily upset about many things. It is a skill to be practiced like art, like any skill.

I do not feel conflict here, just variations in otherwise very similar points of view. Of course everyone is allowed to feel what they feel. That's another thing which has no "wrong" and no "right" way and the goal is not to suppress feelings, just to be mindful about how thoughts and feelings connect and to realize where ones own personal suffering may be avoided by changing thoughts.

For most people this is a no-brainer and they get this naturally. It took me years to realize this and the Zen stuff is still fairly new to me, so forgive my desire to jump at every opportunity to share and lecture about it.

Again thank you all for your time, you really helped me  :)
One is glad to be of service.

@Dennis and astraldata: I'm short on time, so I can't respond with the length of post that you two deserve
All is well.