AuthorTopic: Screenshots for a GBA RPG I'm working on  (Read 5686 times)

Offline mandrake

• View Profile

Screenshots for a GBA RPG I'm working on

on: August 30, 2005, 05:11:14 pm

Offline Sawtooth

• growin' a beard
    • View Profile

Re: Screenshots for a GBA RPG I'm working on

Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 05:38:27 pm
Looking good for a start.  I really like the trees. Can you really do 8x8 tiles?  I thought the lowest possible was 16x16.

Quick crits:

color contrast too low for GBA; use black for outlines and saturate your colors more.

house is pillow-shaded.  At the very least, replace the shadow for a highlight on the top and overhanging edges of the roof.

not enough variation in the trees.  Maybe a pine or two?

Add shadows under the trees, using grass colors

the trees are chopped off at the bottom-left of the screen.

grass is too pale, make it greener or yellower.
rip ninjalicious

Offline mandrake

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 05:53:26 pm
Looking good for a start.  I really like the trees. Can you really do 8x8 tiles?  I thought the lowest possible was 16x16.

GBA only supports 8x8 tiles.  Nothing else.  All other tiles are made up of 8x8 chunks.

color contrast too low for GBA; use black for outlines and saturate your colors more.

Seems fine on SP/Afterburner (ie well lit) hardware, but you do have a point for older GBA without proper lighting.  Since I am targetting emulators here (getting it to run on hardware is just a bonus) I'll probably keep the contrast as-is for right now.

house is pillow-shaded.  At the very least, replace the shadow for a highlight on the top and overhanging edges of the roof.

Point taken, and will work on that later tonight when I get home from work.

not enough variation in the trees.  Maybe a pine or two?

Add shadows under the trees, using grass colors
Doing that would cut down on the number of tiles I have available.  Since I can't go over 250 8x8 tiles per map, this could cause a problem, and I don't really see adding a pine tree to this map (there is a winter region with pine trees in it instead of autumnal trees).

the trees are chopped off at the bottom-left of the screen.
That's because this was just a test map, to see what the tiles looked like on GBA hardware.

grass is too pale, make it greener or yellower.

No. I like the grass colour.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 06:45:50 pm
The grass looks far too cluttered and obviously tiled. Try putting some more "blank" grass in, having some of those other weeds & flowers more sparse and stuff.
Something about the character is buggin' me, but I can't put my finger on it.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 08:10:36 pm
Hi Mandrake, welcome to the forum! I think that you still could add a tile for shadows under the trees, I mean, it'd only need be one or two tiles actually... you'd have  your tilework that made up the trunk, then one generic fully filled tile, and then one more tile that could be mirrored, and appear to round off on the ends to match the tree canopy. Anyways, this is a good start. Even if you're going for emulation, I would also agree with the suggestion that  you saturate in areas. The trees could be a little lighter and more saturant, to give that nice fall look. Even if you keep the grass the same color, try using a lighter green to create grass patches that stand out. If you placed some near your stony path, that might set it off well. I highly recommend you check out the GBC styled challenge we have going and study some of the tile use and styles.

This is cool. Please keep us informed, and good luck :)

Offline mandrake

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 12:17:09 pm
Well, maybe some different colour grass to highlight/offset the stone path.  And maybe a shadow tile as well- but that's only if I have enough.  I might not.  I've also got a second layer (not shown here since I don't have the parallax scrolling routines finished yet) that has a fog texture it scrolls across.  That+the graphics I have now eat things up pretty well, leaving me with about 20 tiles right now.  And I still don't have water tiles for this map yet.

But, these are all good suggestions.  I'll keep working on this and cramming things about to try and get in some space to do that.  Right now I'm taking a break from this town map and I'm working on the overworld map.

I'll probably desaturate things once I get some more maps finished. I'll let you guys know about the progress, and post the .gba rom when I have more to show.

Offline mandrake

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 12:12:44 pm
Oh yeah, definately not enough room.  I had to get rid of the fog layer, due to the necassity of using menu's as tiles and fonts as tiles.  Ouch.