AuthorTopic: My first pixel art to share  (Read 2437 times)

Offline vorphalyx

• New to pixelart, but tryin'
    • View Profile

My first pixel art to share

on: October 04, 2014, 05:21:46 pm
Hi,
this is my first post and I wanted to share my first creation with You. I started pixel art a while ago. This is my first piece, I feel a strong Sierra vibe from it :)
Need advice how to improve :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:04:27 pm by vorphalyx »
This may hurt a little, but it's something You'll get used to.

Offline Fickludd

• View Profile

Re: My first pixel art to share

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 10:15:45 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm going to focus on the woman because that felt the most challenging to me (way out of my comfort zone!).

First off, I think you did a good job with the glass, pearls and hair. These have clear identifiable shapes in simple clusters, and a few well-used colors.

On the dress and skin you have used 4 and 3 shades, but they are very similar to each other, and quite hard to tell apart. Also, I'm a bit confused what her right hand and legs are really doing, as you can also see in my edit.

In said edit,
- tried to reduce dress and skin colors (3 and 2).
- tried to use larger shadows instead of lines to bring out volumes.
- tried to understand pose and anatomy
- changed to a more neutral background.

I'm not sure if this goes in an intended Sierra style, but it's what I can manage.

Offline vorphalyx

• New to pixelart, but tryin'
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 07:33:33 am
Hey,
thanks for the input.
I like what You've done to the figure - anatomically legs are crossed with the left one being the one in the front, right in the back. Legs look kinda fat, and shapeless, maybe cause the scale of the picture.
Should I add more detail or stay this way - to avoid pixel clustering?
And I was also wondering on palette. The one I used simply reminds me of early sierra games - limited to the EGA colour palette, but than again - I'm still looking.
So a few questions more:
1. Should I find premade palette to draw or experiment on my own?
2. Should I go to bigger sprites, or stay this way?
3. I can't really draw in real life, but in pixelart I can more or less put life in my thoughts, would You be interested to comment on my future arts?
Looking for more C&C from You :)

EDIT: Just a mushroom I did :) also For C&C
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 07:46:22 pm by vorphalyx »
This may hurt a little, but it's something You'll get used to.

Offline Fickludd

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 07:48:31 pm
I see you already did both two new motifs (mushroom and other thread), but I would really recommend you to try to study my edit a little, and try to modify your own blue dressed woman using what you learn. In this way you will learn, and others can see how you progress.

Yeah, with the legs I was kinda unsure if she was supposed to be sitting (say on the armrest of the chair).

1) I think in future pixels try both your own palettes and premade palettes. Maybe try limiting yourself to 4, 8, 12 or 16 colors and see how this affects your art.
2) Stay small for now. It helps you finish many pieces which should be good.
3) I'm not a very active commenter, but there will always be somebody will advice here. =)