AuthorTopic: Modern Tiles (WIP) (C+C)  (Read 3779 times)

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Modern Tiles (WIP) (C+C)

on: September 30, 2014, 09:37:40 pm
Hi , I've been working on a modern tileset for a new game , Ill be updating this thread with new tiles every time I make new ones , to be critiqued by you guys so I can make them as perfect as I can , with your help of course , right now the first tile I need help with is the grass tile , which of those is better , why and how could I make it even better :)

I've made other grass tiles , still not happy with what I've got xx

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 02:24:05 am by PixelPiledriver »

Offline (BYOND)Hebrons

• View Profile

Re: Modern Tiles (WIP) (C+C)

Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 02:59:44 am
i like the 2nd grass tile best but , if i where you give your palette more life.
An Wise Man once said Dont Start what you Cant Pixel !

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 02:29:46 pm
Alright , so I've just made a new grass :D using this new pyxeledit which helped me alot , anywho so this is what I ended up with using the color palette that was already in the program , and also another version of the colors Iam using for the game

Just made a new dirt tile along with the Grass over Dirt tiles , so here is what should be a mockup :D any suggestions would be nice :D (there maybe some tilling errors but thats from me not the tile :P)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 01:17:49 am by PixelPiledriver »

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 06:13:04 pm
That's definitely an improvement. Great depth you've added to the grass.

Dirt's a bit dark for my liking, and the shadow from the concrete would fall on the grass tiles a bit "messier" than that, if you get me. Zooming in I see you've the occasional angular shadow, but looking at it at 1x the shadow still appears to be a straight line.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 06:22:03 pm by Daimoth »

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 06:21:25 pm
In geneal i like the newer set of tiles. However, they look a lot more like fallen leaves to me. Like a terraria tree tile.

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 08:18:42 pm
Alright so I started making building tiles , I was heading for this exact building look I was trying to copy it , but Idk the result isnt satisfying as I pictured it , still need to make the middle window parts , but I dont wana advance into it when Iam not liking how it looks

here is a picture of the real building

and here is my Tiles and a mockup of it

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 04:44:13 pm
Something that really stands out to me as pleasing in your reference photo is the contrast of dark-bright in the building's details. You don't convey this enough in your version, your darks are mid-tone giving it an overall dull look. Push those darks in there and maybe add a few more interesting patterns to the orange brickwork. The individual bricks might benefit from not being so outlined also.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:49:23 pm by Larwick »