AuthorTopic: [C+C]some random guy  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Cakeprediction

• huehuehue, newer...er avatar :D
    • View Profile

[C+C]some random guy

on: September 28, 2014, 07:22:34 pm
After practicing people sprite thingies(restarted from scratch six times) I have gotten a little bit better and wanted to show where I am now :) (If you guys want I can post all the seven sprites  :lol:). Anyways, I have finally gotten to makina guy bigger then 24 pixels max, so I just wanted to share that and ask some advice on it ^^. Will probably add some hair and details later, and don't know if this(or the other stuff) will ever be made into a game.

first try:

most recent(6th) try:

Also, please note that some tries(which I have not posted) may be better than stuff I tried before.

Added hair, changed some pixels and made his clothing A lil'bit more interesting. Mock-up will come soon ^^
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:47:04 pm by Cakeprediction »

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Re: [C+C]some random guy

Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 06:08:30 pm

Had some fun with that. Tried to cut down on detail and colors while making it nicer to look at. not sure what was going on with your arm coloration, and the shoulders were pretty weak.

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 06:44:38 pm
Woah :o. that looks pretty rad, and is really useful, thanks  :lol:!

so, changed the green up a little bit, changed some shadowing according to fizzick's example(trying not to copy a lot, but it's really hard D:), made the hands a bit smaller,changed the legs a little bit and added a belt . Decided to keep the detailed  shoulderpads and added some boots(moar details, which might be a bad ide, but they don't look that good without any boots D:). Tried to change the eyes a bit but failed miserably so decided to keep these etes, since they work :I. Anyway, here he is :

Also Fizzick, that cape looks pretty darn cool :o. Might try and make one myself as something extra according to your  example. never really made one or found a very good example(probs because I didn't look very good   ::) ), but this is great!

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 09:30:37 pm
Based on your work from the first tread I can say one thing. You are insecure in your skills (which is very common among artists) and along with your progress, in each iteration, you make bigger and bigger sprites with more details. That's a good thing. Only problem there (the same problem I'm facing) is infinite loop. Every time you progress and you look back you see what's wrong with previous work and you want to improve it. My opinion is that you should try to finish one project and move on to next, instead of reworking one thing over and over. This way you can finish more different things.

I still think that your first minimalistic style was very interesting, those sprites between first and current were not so good, and now again you have something "A lil'bit more interesting" as you said. ;)
This was just my opinion, continue your work and good luck. :y:

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 03:17:26 pm
This pretty much sums up my whole experience since I started practicing pixelling a lot more and you're pretty much right about all the stuff you said  :-[. I've been wanting to make a good rogue-lite game for a long time, but I'm still wrestling a lot with ideas, and with those ideas new sprites come(although most ideas are prety bad, but because I'm excited I already start making random guys and realise the next day that it's bad. I think I should change my way of working :'D ).I guess I'll just make a small mock-up thingy pixel-wise and just start coding without very nice sprites game-wise :). So yeahh... mock-up coming soon :D