AuthorTopic: GR#219 - Steamfantry - Sprite Process  (Read 35837 times)

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Re: Heavy Infantry

Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 09:36:30 pm
Turning out so f'n well; love the way you made the brass and copper.
I do think the shield is better angled as it is; otherwise Night's critiques have been great!

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: October 04, 2014, 10:29:11 am
Looking good Tom  :y:

Two points that might be useful:

I really think the rear leg's heel should be raised, the pose does not make sense otherwise (for me at least). The recolor is just a suggestion feel free to ignore if you don't agree.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #32 on: October 04, 2014, 12:08:38 pm
so final adjustments, mainly rear leg, which is really nasty. I Moved the plates a bit further apart and emphasized the perspective with the top plate.
I am not going to redraw the knees or the front foot, too much work went in there already and it's just too late.

However I am looking forward to test out the next pose drawing approach where I will apply a lot of the stuff I learned and I hope that this approach will solve some problems in a much faster and more effective way.

I also really liked the reddish glow in the copper which I overtook Ben, the iron will stay brown.

I call it now really finished and will move on to the next one =)

Thanks to everyone for the input and the nice time in the streams, I really appreciated it.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: October 05, 2014, 03:15:50 pm
The quality of these is really something special, and these are just in-game talking heads?
The girl looks much improved over the previous too.   

I see you’re done and I can’t argue with that, couple design issues that jumped out at me though:

Anachronism aside, the sorta ornate, hand crafted, medieval-looking leggings/boots look kinda strange (even delicate!) next to the really brutal industrial cog-pauldrens and riot shield stuff up top. Actually I think this was more apparent in the sketches; the shared material rendering pulls it together quite well, but it’s an odd design choice.

I’m no expert but it looks more like a diesel exhaust pipe and I he’s intended as steam powered? I think the hot steam could be a hazard so it’s usually funnelled up and away instead of diffusing all around through a perforated heat sink. Will anyone care: no.

The shield forms a tangent with the back thigh; it sort of ‘webs’ the legs, muddies the silhouette a little. (Back leg looks alright to me btw; nice bit of movement).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 03:20:36 pm by Facet »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #34 on: October 05, 2014, 03:55:34 pm
The quality of these is really something special, and these are just in-game talking heads?
The girl looks much improved over the previous too.   

I see you’re done and I can’t argue with that, couple design issues that jumped out at me though:

Anachronism aside, the sorta ornate, hand crafted, medieval-looking leggings/boots look kinda strange (even delicate!) next to the really brutal industrial cog-pauldrens and riot shield stuff up top. Actually I think this was more apparent in the sketches; the shared material rendering pulls it together quite well, but it’s an odd design choice.

@Facet: Cool that you show up again, really missed you here.

Currently those are just artworks mainly for practicing a lo tof things.
If I turn the whole thing into to a game I will use them as chatterbox heads, so the practice would have an practical approach as well.

Regarding to the design choices:
Like in reality, not everything has to be out of the same period of time.
This armor design has it's own past.
The crude industrial stuff is left from thr original period as they were designed the first time.
The adjusted elements are out of the modern period and featuring the style which is currently "in" in the world.

I mean I wrote the design long before I did the actual piece of art, I released it here:
http://cyangmou.deviantart.com/art/Adjusted-Steamfantry-486364287

I care up to a certain point about technical detail, unless it would hurt the artistical choices too much, speak if the idea would be limited by the strictness of realistic technical restrictions, that's something I can overlook.
The cool thing for me is to create something which might not work in our reality, but is close enough to be believable in a fantastical world.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 04:03:05 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: October 05, 2014, 07:37:28 pm
Hey thanks! It’s nice to be back and about, I’m trying to find an excuse to work on some pixels.

Regarding to the design choices:
Like in reality, not everything has to be out of the same period of time.
This armor design has it's own past.
The crude industrial stuff is left from thr original period as they were designed the first time.
The adjusted elements are out of the modern period and featuring the style which is currently "in" in the world.

Yeah, the intention of a novel history and ‘long tail’ technology can be really cool but is definitely a bit trickier to communicate; dude doesn't particularly appear retro-fitted or cobbled together (to me anyway); more off-the-assembly-line premium Verne-tech™ with some unaccountable decor. Again though, it works fine but design talk is good practice and interesting to me.