AuthorTopic: Self portrait  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Self portrait

on: September 25, 2014, 06:00:17 am

progress

Source photo

Note: lost weight since then, hence the narrower face

This version follows the rules for the weekly over at PJ. Easily the most dithering I've ever used. May end up animating it, have the fire going with a few speculars twitching on my glasses and skin.

Anyway, there's plenty of time before the challenge is over, so tear it apart lads.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:13:46 am by Daimoth »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: Self portrait

Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 08:19:25 pm
Easily the most dithering I've ever used.
Dithering in faces is anathema   :o
There are very few cases where it works, as in Mandrill's entry, but most of the time it just doesn't. Faces are what our brains have evolved to extract the most detail from, they are also usually the focus of a piece. You just want everything to be pixel-crisp.

Also this ref is not very useful, you can't see any detail in there, it has even less resolution than your pixel piece.
You should sketch your features in the mirror and use that as a complementary ref =)

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Re: Self portrait

Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 09:15:34 pm
Yeah, I does get rather nasty zoomed in. Not totally sure what to do about it, I wanted to avoid using the same skin colors as the others, and I wanted the face to be backlit. Reads alright at it's intended size, though.  :blind:

I did indeed use a mirror, photos, etc., as references. The picture was more for the tophat and glasses. The likeness is enough that my sister thought it was a shopped photo; she doesn't really get pixel art.