AuthorTopic: Pixel art newbie  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Goldenburgm

• View Profile

Pixel art newbie

on: September 21, 2014, 11:56:16 pm
So, three days ago I started to mess around with Piskel and also read some pixel art tutorials. Here is a knight I started yesterday and it still looks pretty amateur (I've been trying to keep it simple to make a spritesheet later on, feel free to point any flaws).

Thanks in advance.

Offline Goldenburgm

• View Profile

Re: Pixel art newbie

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 12:08:07 am
Made a version with a belt. Felt a need to put something that wasn't grey.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:30:19 am
I'd repost that in its original size and in .png format.  :y:

Offline Goldenburgm

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 01:40:21 am

OK. There you go, mate.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 01:32:07 pm
I asked you to post at the original size, because it looked like you where using fat pixels. Not sure if that is what you intended or it is simply an attribute of the Piskel program.
Anyway there are plenty of threads concerning Knights characters of various sizes, i'd look for and study what was going on in those threads.
Here are a few knight characters of similar pixel length and width as the knight you posted above, just to give you some ideas.

Simply clicking an image on this site increases its size from within the browser.  :y:

Offline Goldenburgm

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 02:06:50 pm
I asked you to post at the original size, because it looked like you where using fat pixels. Not sure if that is what you intended or it is simply an attribute of the Piskel program.
Anyway there are plenty of threads concerning Knights characters of various sizes, i'd look for and study what was going on in those threads.
Here are a few knight characters of similar pixel length and width as the knight you posted above, just to give you some ideas.

Simply clicking an image on this site increases its size from within the browser.  :y:

Thanks a bunch. I downloaded the image from Piskel and then resized it so it didn't look shrinked when I posted it here. I'll try and improve this knight as soon as I get home.

Offline Goldenburgm

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 03:01:57 am
Hey guys, I've been having some trouble to make a breathing animation (I suck at animation overall). I read an article about subpixel shading to partially achieve the breathing effect, but it still looks really rough. Do you guys have any ideas?