AuthorTopic: Wom-an-atomy & Hair help?  (Read 3555 times)

Offline NowvaB

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Wom-an-atomy & Hair help?

on: September 21, 2014, 02:44:23 pm
Oh, hi!

This is something I made, What do you think?
I'm looking to improve the detail in my art but as I scale up in size things get skewed. :yell:

also when is it okay to sacrifice anatomy detail for something to look 'pretty'

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: Wom-an-atomy & Hair help?

Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 04:12:43 pm
Good start. I see anatomy problems but I'm not the most qualified about it, let's see what others say.

The pose looks impossible to me (try it in the mirror): with the weapon shaft behind her back, her right arm should be thrust back or her forearm turned to be almost parallel to the shaft.
The left arm (hers) is too long (would reach down to her knees) and evenly thick near the elbow.
Her right foot either doesn't touch ground and the rest of the body doesn't support this, or the point of view is from strictly ground level which contradicts the overall aspect. In other words, lower that foot by ~1px.

The pose is more of a parade or dance than a fight. No prob with this, just wanted to make sure that was your intention.

From a composition p.o.v., the large blade takes too much space / attention.

Beware of banding in the shaft.

when is it okay to sacrifice anatomy detail for something to look 'pretty'

Pixel art is all about sacrificing detail to readability and efficiency. If 'pretty' is geared toward these, you should be fine =)

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 05:03:11 pm
Narrow her shoulders. As it is she has some hella beastly terus majors and trapezii. Trapeziuses. Whatever the plural of that word is.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:05:59 pm by Daimoth »

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 06:13:05 pm
I agree with the shoulders as it is know she is like 2.7 heads wide. As a standard the human up torso is only like 2 heads wide. Getting rid of the black outline would be a good start as it reads as part of the body. Just my nooby 2 cents.

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:49:17 pm
Yeah the arms are much too long.. also the feet are pretty tiny.
Also the way she grips the weapon; the hand in back, the support; should be gripping from above and the other hand from below.

Offline NowvaB

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:39:47 am
 ;D Thanks guys.

Here is the new version:

Manupix:
Hope I got all of the issues you were talking about.
 - The pose was supposed to be more graceful rather than a fighting stance.
 - Yeah, the blade does stand out probably because I do a lot of video game art/
thanks

Daimoth, lachrymose:
Shoulders shrunkesized! Can't believe I missed that. moving it actually helped with the curve though  :P
I'll chop of my hands before that outline goes!(haha) I tried a lighter purple though, like? ???

||||:

Well, in theory...
The piece is working together to amplify itself
everything to the left is more so darker and inferior to the the more lighter and superior side.
supposedly pointing the piece in a direction drawing your eyes,
HENCE! I put the hands like that. But I did give her a tighter grip, and bigger foot.

Thanks for the feed!back
now to tackle hair.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:35:29 am
Shoulders were still way too broad. You can break anatomy for aesthetics as much as you want, as long as it looks good. Females typically have more width in their hips than in their shoulders.

In this pose, her right arm is supporting most of the weight, so it makes no sense for the blade to be on the opposite side. The left arm is just there for show. Drawing a line down from the pit of the neck will give you a guide for the center of gravity for the character, and the legs should balance that.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:43:06 pm by Ryumaru »

Offline NowvaB

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 04:30:31 am
Oh, thanks for the edit, 'realistic' is out of my comfort zone so its nice to see how you tackled it.

made some edits to mine on a more dynamic pose and softer lighting, but might just make a different pose all together (Practice makes Perfect)