AuthorTopic: Level Design - Question  (Read 5671 times)

Offline thoc

• View Profile

Level Design - Question

on: September 17, 2014, 01:37:16 am
Hello All!

I am starting my new game (itīs a big project). Itīs a platform adventure and I am thinking about 10 levels with 3 bosses along the way.

I started with the art style and already got some nice feedback from you guys. Now I am stuck with the Level Design. I canīt fine nice references for it so I really need your help  :'(

I'm studying this to learn more about everything inside a platform game (its awesome) -> http://imgur.com/a/cFVzD

But the level design itself itīs really tricky for me, so any help is welcome!

And I donīt know if this is the right Forum for this kind of question so if you guys know any more accurate would be great!

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Re: Level Design - Question

Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 02:01:52 am
I think level design comes more naturally if it follows your story.

What is your story? What is the plot? What is the character trying to accomplish?

Does your story have your character travel from a poor village, to a dark cave where he fights his first foe?
Does your story have your character travel a desert to reach an old fortress?
Did you introduce a new mechanic to the player? Why type of environment would be best to allow the player to test it?
...etc.

You can see how you could build or at least find inspiration in level design from the story itself.
That would at least give a bottom line that could be further tested/critiqued by folks.

Offline thoc

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:16:14 am
Thank you lachrymose  ;D

Thatīs a awesome idea, I know some parts of the story but not all. I think I will finish the whole story, mechanics and environment ideas before starting building the level design itself.

This is a really rough idea but itīs a start!

Thanks again  :y:

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:56:15 pm
In my experience as a game designer, and from what I understand from some of the more accomplished game designers, is that level design has its foundation in game play. That is, core mechanics of the game are determined first, such as walking, running, jumping, climbing, wall jumping, etc... and they are perfected in a sandbox environment. Usually a game's mechanics are based on accepted norms within the genre, and then will have one novel concept that differentiates it from every other game in that genre. A platformer where you always have the ability to fly (owlboy), luigi's ghost vaccuum in a standard mario 64 environment, a puzzle game where you level up characters (puzzle quest). Anyway, once all of that is decided on, built, tested, and perfected, you can start on level design.

Level design should direct players in such a way that they experience the full gamut of gameplay you've created with your controls/mechanics. It should offer situations that are fun, like wall jumping up an enemy free chasm. It should also offer challenges that require players to master the mechanics of the game, such as wall jumping up a chasm that is rapidly filling with lava while dodging falling rocks from above. One important thing to avoid when designing levels are areas of frustration. If the controls for wall jumping are unresponsive, too touchy or limiting, a player may find themselves hating the game when they've died for the fiftieth time from a falling boulder because the arc of their jump always seems to put them straight into danger. To fix problems like that the controls need to be polished, or that part of the level needs to be remade to work within the parameters of the game. One more thing to consider when designing levels is that the level is clearly laid out for the player. Even if there are puzzles or mazes to solve, a level needs to be designed in such a way that a player knows that there is a puzzle to solve even if the solution isn't apparent. For mazes, it could be suggested that individual parts of it should be unique from each other in order to provide reference points for the player. Ghost houses from Super Mario World are a perfect example of this last point. The player goes through an endless loop of the same part of the house until they learn to take the correct path, when they finally take the right path it is immediately clear that they did. Expanding on this concept, and wrapping things up, is the concept of rewards or rewarding moments in your level design. Good level design should recognize a player's accomplishments and reward them accordingly. Just getting out of the ghost house is rewarding enough, but when you find the secret exit to the level it would reward you with the elusive 3-up moon. When it comes down to it, all level design is is a way for a player to fully experience the game that you've created in the most enjoyable way possible. It should throw them into the world, teach the basics, build them up in skill and confidence by giving them ever increasing challenges, provide them opportunities to feel smart about what they've learned, and reward them every step of the way.

Offline thoc

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 09:47:54 am
In my experience as a game designer, and from what I understand from some of the more accomplished game designers, is that level design has its foundation in game play. That is, core mechanics of the game are determined first, such as walking, running, jumping, climbing, wall jumping, etc... and they are perfected in a sandbox environment. Usually a game's mechanics are based on accepted norms within the genre, and then will have one novel concept that differentiates it from every other game in that genre. A platformer where you always have the ability to fly (owlboy), luigi's ghost vaccuum in a standard mario 64 environment, a puzzle game where you level up characters (puzzle quest). Anyway, once all of that is decided on, built, tested, and perfected, you can start on level design.

Level design should direct players in such a way that they experience the full gamut of gameplay you've created with your controls/mechanics. It should offer situations that are fun, like wall jumping up an enemy free chasm. It should also offer challenges that require players to master the mechanics of the game, such as wall jumping up a chasm that is rapidly filling with lava while dodging falling rocks from above. One important thing to avoid when designing levels are areas of frustration. If the controls for wall jumping are unresponsive, too touchy or limiting, a player may find themselves hating the game when they've died for the fiftieth time from a falling boulder because the arc of their jump always seems to put them straight into danger. To fix problems like that the controls need to be polished, or that part of the level needs to be remade to work within the parameters of the game. One more thing to consider when designing levels is that the level is clearly laid out for the player. Even if there are puzzles or mazes to solve, a level needs to be designed in such a way that a player knows that there is a puzzle to solve even if the solution isn't apparent. For mazes, it could be suggested that individual parts of it should be unique from each other in order to provide reference points for the player. Ghost houses from Super Mario World are a perfect example of this last point. The player goes through an endless loop of the same part of the house until they learn to take the correct path, when they finally take the right path it is immediately clear that they did. Expanding on this concept, and wrapping things up, is the concept of rewards or rewarding moments in your level design. Good level design should recognize a player's accomplishments and reward them accordingly. Just getting out of the ghost house is rewarding enough, but when you find the secret exit to the level it would reward you with the elusive 3-up moon. When it comes down to it, all level design is is a way for a player to fully experience the game that you've created in the most enjoyable way possible. It should throw them into the world, teach the basics, build them up in skill and confidence by giving them ever increasing challenges, provide them opportunities to feel smart about what they've learned, and reward them every step of the way.

First, Amazing reading  :o and thank you very much for your help. After reading your text I went to look into more a gameplay/controls/mechanics then story itself. It was the perfect start! I already decided all the default abilities and upgrades the main character will be able to conquer. And since I am looking to build a Metrodvania style game but focusing on puzzles instead of combat that was amazingly helpful!

And I also found this guides after cleaning my mind and looking for the right things!

http://subtractivedesign.blogspot.ca/2013/01/guide-to-making-metroidvania-style.html

http://subtractivedesign.blogspot.ca/2013/01/guide-to-making-metroidvania-style_16.html

Before reading this my mind was like "how do I start??" but now I already got a lot of things going on :D

Offline NoeL

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 01:48:12 am
This video takes a look at the level design of 1-1 in Super Mario Bros. and provides a good example of what you should be considering when designing "tutorial" levels. Whenever the player is introduced to a new mechanic (e.g. at the start of the game, or when they learn a new ability) you should design a tutorial into your level rather than having just a lame text box explaining what to do. Give the player room to play and experiment, give them a puzzle to solve with their new ability so you can be sure the player knows how to use their new powers before throwing a challenge at them (like what Doppleganger said about the wall jumping).

Offline thoc

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 02:27:12 am
This video takes a look at the level design of 1-1 in Super Mario Bros. and provides a good example of what you should be considering when designing "tutorial" levels. Whenever the player is introduced to a new mechanic (e.g. at the start of the game, or when they learn a new ability) you should design a tutorial into your level rather than having just a lame text box explaining what to do. Give the player room to play and experiment, give them a puzzle to solve with their new ability so you can be sure the player knows how to use their new powers before throwing a challenge at them (like what Doppleganger said about the wall jumping).

Extra Credits is awesome indeed  :lol:

This video is already part of my favourites haha Thank you NoeL!