AuthorTopic: Game title screen [C&C]  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Fly

• View Profile

Game title screen [C&C]

on: September 13, 2014, 07:07:43 pm
Hey guys looking for any kind of advice I can get on this image. It's a title screen for a game. Premise of the game is warriors from different historic times battling for treasure. -- I really like the BROFORCE style banners and title screens. I used them as a reference for some of the colors and character looks. I'm open to change anything.

Please help me correct layout or anatomy issues. Also I'm not that happy about the current color scheme. In the end I would like there to be a gradient background of some sort...and I plan on having a lot of reflection from the gold trophy and maybe some fire/lightning? who knows... I really could use some help though. I am feeling burned out due to a lack of creativity with this piece. Ultimate appreciation for any help, and everyone who gives advice will be given credit in the game.

NEWEST

ORIGINAL

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:50:11 am by Fly »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: Game title screen [C&C]

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 07:46:32 pm
You should ask this guy, he's good with palettes and bgs :D

What I sometimes do when I'm not finding my way with colors is messing with PS indexed mode color reductions. The way it shifts colors to average them out usually brings out interesting combinations that can make good starting points.
8-color example (blue bg = what came out of the redux, teal bg = tweaked):

Or else, if you're after something more 'natural' as seems to be the case, why not use an existing 'universal' palette such as DB's or Arne's as a starting point?

Offline Fly

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 09:51:26 pm
..What I sometimes do when I'm not finding my way with colors is messing with PS indexed mode color reductions.

Thanks man, I do that myself sometimes and I think it really can help. There are just so many areas where this image needs work. It's hard to decide where to start. I'm still questioning the layout.

..why not use an existing 'universal' palette such as DB's or Arne's as a starting point?

-- As far as using a pre-existing palette like DB's/Arne's, (great palettes) I really like Fool's colors and think they might work well with this. I just worry about how well I'll be able to pixel lighting and reflections with those palettes. Should I go higher contrast? I plan on having the gold trophy and beam above it emit some lighting. I'd love to get maybe 2 or 3 separate light sources of different colors. Where should I even begin?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:58:31 pm by Fly »

Offline Fly

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 01:09:42 am
5 minutes in photoshop, playing with the purples and highlighting with layers. -- Not happy with the colors, but I think its heading in the right direction. Thanks for the help Manupix.

Do you or anyone else have any crits on the layout or anatomy right now? I'll keep posting updates.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 04:00:37 am
I actually liked your old color scheme. The new one is very purple! Like they're underwater, or in a dark cave.

Offline Fly

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 04:46:45 am
Some more updates..I think I'm going to worry about colors at the end of this one. There will be a lot of lighting work I need to do then. For now any help with layout or anatomy issues would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 02:18:09 pm
I just had a vision of these guys actually climbing to the top of some platform where the treasure would be (very vaguely like this, not quite close to what I have in mind though). It could look more dynamic. Not much different layout but quite different poses.

I'm not qualified about anatomy, but it looks like the Roman's arms are wrong, and the Viking's are a little short.

Unrealistic weapons bother me: the Roman should use a gladius, and the Viking should definitely not wield a machette, nor the Indian a paleolithic flint thingy ;)