AuthorTopic: GR#212 - Sturmkrähe - Anatomy  (Read 21679 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: Sturmkrähe

Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 08:23:39 am
Just wanted to stop to say that fur is god damn gorgeous.  Seriously, wonderful execution on that.  I'm having problems understanding how you worked up to 58 colors on this though.  could probably use some palette optimization, but that's really just preference.  You've maintained control of your colors very well.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 09:36:25 am
Thanks Alcopop and Indigo.

The arms/bracers received in yesterday edit anyways to little love, I edited them and constructed some parts of them new - they are also consistent in terms of size now.
I also edited the values of the hands.
The other thing I did was to unify the overall shading, especially all seperated armor parts are now unified in terms of value and plane direction.

Well i could reduce the colors down to something like 50 if I really wanted to do that, however the max amount I want to have are 64, and colors in this sprite which are close were also mainly used in Creya's sprite - therefore the overall consistency is for me more important than the lowest palette amount possible.
I might go over it once I have more sprites and don't need to add more ramps any more, so that I will gain a better colorweb - but as you said Indigo, the usage of colors used is controlled.

edit: just had the feeling that some weird things were going on with the cast shadow and quickly edited it once more

Also added the latest step to the gif:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:47:55 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 09:58:44 am
In my eyes, Night's edits here are pretty damn great, so I threw him a cookie. I hope the other mods are fine with that :crazy:
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 11:21:15 am
and now the final layer of polish - removed a lot of single pixels and cleaned up vast parts of the sprite. Left AA where necessary. It wasn't the goal to remove every single pixel, just wanted to get an overall much cleaner appeareance.

Thanks to everyone once more for their time and help.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 11:59:41 am
Lovely work. Inspiring to read the whole thread.

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26118.htm
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 12:45:10 pm
In my eyes, Night's edits here are pretty damn great, so I threw him a cookie. I hope the other mods are fine with that :crazy:
Hurray! a cookie!  :0'

Looks good Cyangmou, I wanted to suggest one more thing; that you make the gauntlets asymmetrical ,as in, one hand would have more protection, probably his left hand in this case, whilst the other hand have less protection (for flexibility), it'd make sense if you think about it, but I don't know how the weapon you designed works, so it might be something completely different with the protection.

Anyway, good work!
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 07:36:04 pm
Huh.... I compared the current WIP with past WIP's

I'm also curious about the face proportions as I believe the past WIP's had a larger face for the helmet. The 'beak' also might look like a mouth and if you look at it as a mouth, it might look oddly high and the guy has a very small face. So... I wonder. What happens if this soldier was unmasked?  :lol: (either that or I'm looking at too many heads with large faces)

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 09:14:45 pm
Love this thread too and it's coming out really nice.

I thought I'd just post a tiny little cousin of Sturmkrähe here [similar helmet- shaped like a picklehaube with goggles and beak.. no pike though... way less cool design overall (intended as a fortress guard but I probably wont ever use it anyway)]:

Made it a while ago.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:36:29 pm by |||| »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 10:47:04 pm
Looks good Cyangmou, I wanted to suggest one more thing; that you make the gauntlets asymmetrical ,as in, one hand would have more protection, probably his left hand in this case, whilst the other hand have less protection (for flexibility), it'd make sense if you think about it, but I don't know how the weapon you designed works, so it might be something completely different with the protection.

Asymmetrical armor was just used for shield usage and some tournament cavalry armor.
Here the user needs both hands equally, especially if he uses the weapon as halberd.
But asymmetrical armor definitely will come.

Huh.... I compared the current WIP with past WIP's

I'm also curious about the face proportions as I believe the past WIP's had a larger face for the helmet. The 'beak' also might look like a mouth and if you look at it as a mouth, it might look oddly high and the guy has a very small face. So... I wonder. What happens if this soldier was unmasked?  :lol: (either that or I'm looking at too many heads with large faces)

the top part of a gorget as I used it ends about where the nose ends (depending on the head position) - the uppe rring of the beak connection additionally protects the nasal bone
The beak mainly covers the nose, the bottom of the beak is about at the mouthline (enough air ciirculation possible), so if the soldier disconnects the beak, you would see the nose and the upper part of the mouth.
I actually sketched it out in layers.

you still can see can see the chinline and the ball of the mouth in the gorget, big sketch at the left.

I thought I'd just post a tiny little cousin of Sturmkrähe here [similar helmet- shaped like a picklehaube with goggles and beak.. no pike though... way less cool design overall (intended as a fortress guard but I probably wont ever use it anyway)

A cutie =)

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 12:32:22 am
Just a question, what kind of material are the shoulder pads made of. It looks like textureless plastic in the version you have now.

Besides that I like this a lot and love the fur.