AuthorTopic: hey :update:  (Read 8408 times)

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

hey :update:

on: August 30, 2005, 02:05:07 am
::Update::
still working on my psp wallpaper. could use some advice for it. i'm kinda stuck on doing the background. u all know i never have a bg in any of my sprites. here a quick sketch in for the bg, just a bunch of tube with silhouettes of other handhelds torn apart. any thoughts?

sup everyone. just found out about this place. good to see a lot of the pixel artist that i admire, and some amazing artist i never seen before. heres some of my stuff.

My PSP background. WiP

This is still a WiP

« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 12:30:39 am by SplatPixel »

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Re: hey

Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 02:13:39 am
Hey Splat. Glad I could help out.
That newest one you made for your PSP is freaking sweet! Can't wait to see it finished.  :o

aka: Zoomrix

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 06:56:13 am
Negative Gravity - yeah, thanks alot.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 01:46:22 am by SplatPixel »

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 03:54:33 am
Are these scanned?

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 04:45:06 am
In the middle picture, the womans calf is too short and the mans pelvis is too long. You need to spend more time on your proportions instead of detail. I can tell what you are and aren't altering intentionally.
@darionmccoy

Offline SplatPixel

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 06:54:05 am
David - what do u mean scanned? if ur asking if i drew them out, scanned and colored them, then yes.

Darion - heh, can't fix the girl now. i actually wanted the guys pelvis like that, i stretched it to make him look more snake-like i guess. thanks for the crits

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 07:13:11 pm
ok, hey :)

i have some crits for you too. i'll start with the first one i guess

i'm not sure if i'm getting the concept here. it's one of your alien guys with knife.. uhm, with the psp buttons on his back, ok. anyways, the lighting is quite inconsistent, making it look flat. you should really try to think of how the various shapes that make up your object would reflect the light from the source. besides that i'd suggest looking at some references for anatomy next time you're doing one of your muscular friends again (yes, i know it's an alien, but if you're already going to define every muscle so nicely you might just as well learn something while doing it :)). it seems rather improvised, and the belly area for example is much too thin imo. i've made an edit trying to fix the lighting and anatomy a little, though i didn't touch much else than the back and the pointing arm (which i'm not really satisfied with):

(i painted over the buttons/logo and forgot to alter it back)

i only noticed that the right upperarm is off-perspective when it was already done. i didn't change anything on the gloves, but they could need more invasive darker shades and the right indexfinger looks a bit like it broke and is now stuck in the glove. the knife is a bit flat/plain too, hard to make out what material it is supposed to be.
oh, i think i've read somewhere that it's still a wip. be sure to throw in some aa around the border then, especially where it's on a white background.

well, then on to the second one. ok, i don't feel like i'm able to comment on the composition and concept but one thing i can tell is, that i don't like the barbie-ish looks of the queen. pale skin, a grim face, maybe looking directly into the camera with lowere head and an evil grin.. i don't know
otherwise it is really nice, maybe too huge though. take the snake for example, the way you highlighted/textured it looks really nice (this scaly look) but this way the scales appear a bit small. if you had applied the same pattern on a smaller scale it would have fit even better maybe. and it would of course also be much less work :).
the lines have a really nice flow, like on the scythe, though it's a bit low on contrast and i can't define the material it's made of. the lighting is much more consistent on this one (mostly from the far right), only some minor flaws like on the left boob.
what bugs me about this here are the thin necks. it might be ok for the snake guy, since you made him generally slimmer and lengthier. then again, an anatomical issue that is not a result of snakey-fying the left guy is the shoulder closer to us that's too far to the right.
i've got only two more nitpicks now and some advice :): 1. the (our) right eye of the queen is a bit awkward, the angle is off, and 2. there are these jaggies at the inside of the second curve of the snake (they don't look like they're intentional, but if they are, as wrinkles of some sorts maybe, they don't work). ok, my advice would be that you should try to go for more contrast, especially to expand your colorramps at the darker end, and to try to make the pallette interesting, though you're already on the right lane here, as there already are some nice hue-variations. just push it a little further :)

ok, just some quick thoughts on the last one:
mhh, maybe you should try to find some tutorial on how to do dynamic poses (the psg one covers poses i think, but i don't know if there's anything about dynamic ones), i liked the first picture you made of this guy better. i don't know how those skateboard moves work or what they look like exactly but is it normal that the torso looks the other way than the head and legs?
also, the right leg is twisted as well and the right hand is a bit too stylized for my tastes. the connection between the lower flames and the board is too forced/awkward and could be dropped imo, just have ordinary wheels and keep the flames behind the board (filling in this white patch)

ok that was it :). i really hope i didn't come off too harsh, no hostility inteded at all. it's just that i've seen you make the same mistakes you've made before in your past pieces. btw, i'd love to see you do something completely different for a change. something a bit smaller maybe, just experiment a little. i think you've got the potential to do some really great stuff in other fields of (pixel-)art as well. and don't let yourself be discouraged if your first efforts in new areas don't look as great as you might have wanted them to be, it's all about practice, you know :)

miascugh over and out

edit: haha, mistaking left with right
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 10:35:39 pm by miascugh »

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 10:01:32 pm
Wow, Brilliant edit, really impressive. I love it.

//mod edit: This post is useless. It contributes nothing to the thread. Think before you post.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 10:57:03 pm by ptoing »
I.....am......me............

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 10:21:09 pm
YES. THANK YOU MIASCUGH!

EDIT: I was thanking miascugh for making an edit to prove my point.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 01:14:42 am by Darion »
@darionmccoy

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Re: hey :update:

Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 01:12:03 am
sven good god man, take it easy.
alexander