AuthorTopic: [Portfolio] Carl Douglas - spriting and animation  (Read 13813 times)

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

[Portfolio] Carl Douglas - spriting and animation

on: February 20, 2011, 01:08:45 pm
Massive overhaul of my portfolio home site, so much so that the world wide web will never be the same again.

Click this link to see an updated ArgyleBox.com

Greetings! My name is Carl Douglas, known by most under the handle of Argyle (Here is a link to my PixelJoint profile).

My strong point is animation - be it characters or objects or otherwise - and I am available for contracts, outsourced art, project support, and generally all sorts of miscellany. As of currently, I am looking for paying project offers only.

I prefer to initially be contacted via e-mail at carldouglas[at]argylebox[dot]com (impossibly encrypted, must use advanced tools to figure out where to place the "@" and "."), or via PM on the boards here.

An ugly, plain text resume of my past client work can be found HERE.

Although this is a mostly pixel art-focused portfolio, I am also well-versed with vector and digital paint artwork. Samples can be given upon request. My preferred toolsets are Cosmigo ProMotion and Adobe's Creative Suite of applications.

I also work well off of your pre-existing artwork!
The following animations were created for static non-animated sprites that artists other
than myself created and designed. I just made all the motion and effects that go with them.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:59:34 am by Argyle »

Offline mikdog

• View Profile
    • Mike Scott Animation
I've been meaning to post here for ages.

Carl's work is awesome, he's done a fair amount on a project I'm busy with, his work is amongst the best of the pixel artists and animators I've worked with. I can highly recommend Carl, he (seems) extremely intelligent even though I'm from South Africa and he from the States and we've only conversed over email, he has brought a whole lot of awesome to the work I've given him, his rates are very reasonable, he has done what he's said he's gonna do, and I'm generally very pleased with Carl's work. He's gone beyond what I've asked of him, in certain instances, and delivered something of much higher quality than I originally imagined, which is super.

Nice one. Get Carl to do your pixel work. If my experience of a couple week's worth of work is anything to go by, you will be a happy person.

Peace out,

Mike

http://www.bruandboegie.co.za
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:10:25 pm by mikdog »

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
Thanks so much, Mike!  That project was a lot of fun and I hope to be so lucky as to be involved with more animation like that in the future.

A review from Duke Davidson for work done on FORGE surfaced on my portfolio thread on the PixelJoint forums.  He had this to say:

Quote from: Da_Duke2000
I can vouch that Carl can produce some amazing animations in a variety of styles and resolutions.

He's done some amazing work, with animations consisting of hundreds of frames. He's always delivered.

Recommended.

Thanks tons, Duke, I enjoyed all the work I've had the chance to create for FORGE and hope it continues progressing as the promising installment of LOOM it has already shaped up toward becoming.

On that note, anyone who is between projects with an itchy spriting finger should drop Duke a line.  He's a really great guy with spectacular vision for his project who is always looking for people to help whittle down the asset list of his upcoming adventure game.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
Did some house cleaning and added a few newer samples of recent work.

Workload has been curtailed significantly from projects coming to completion so I am collecting prospects for new projects to get on board with, be it outsourced studio work, project support, or original sprite/animation creation, I am interested!

Also, a new testimonial from Nick Mountford, Executive Producer with Soap Creative; he had this to say:

Carl delivered kick ass pixel characters for one of our games and exceeded expectations in the process. He's got an awesome sense of humour, experience dealing with tricky clients and cool sense of humour. I've recommended him many times already and will continue to do so. He rocks.

Thanks tons, Nick, I think you're a handsome devil as well.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:59:25 am by Argyle »

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile

Re: [Portfolio] Carl Douglas - spriting and animation

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:48:27 pm
There have been major changes to my portfolio site, ArgyleBox.com, so please take a look for some updated samples and information. Thanks!

Also, another testimonial to mention:

Quote from: Son of Bryce
“I worked with Carl as a developer on the Flash version of the Hangover 2 game. I can vouch for his awesomeness of bringing a game to life with his great character designs and animations. You da man Carl!”
          — Bryson Whiteman, Game Developer Sokay.net

No, Bryson. YOU da man. You.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:59:08 am by Argyle »

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 08:38:09 am
Thanks so much, that is certainly the plan of action! Appreciate the kind words, Sharif (even though you look like a spambot.. unique gifts are unique)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:39:40 am by Argyle »

Offline Abisso

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 10:49:24 pm
I guess I shouldn't be that surprised to have found Carl's portfolio here, since I'm familiar with his work, but still it's a pleasant surprise.

I'm from the FORGE team as well, and although I wasn't the project leader at the time Carl lent us a hand, I've been directly in contact with him all the same, and commissioned him some tasks. Well, I definitely have to recommend him like my ex-colleague Duke already did.
He's been the official artist and animator of the project for about a year and I consider him to be the top when it comes to animations, and a really good pixel-artist as well. But it's not just that: he's a professional worker yet a really funny person to work with, making the team-life really enjoyable. His experience makes it easy for him to understand requests and grasp concepts related to game-making, thus making his material immediately usable in-game, without any need for technical touch-ups (and this saves a lot of time, believe me).

Oh, and he's got some mouths to feed, so don't be stingy!  ;D

Seriously, I really hope there will be a chance to work together once again in the next future.

Best luck,

-Gabriele

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 01:21:13 am
Updated with some new samples and attached a link to a plain-text resume of past project work I've done. Thank you for looking!

Offline mikdog

• View Profile
    • Mike Scott Animation

Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 12:58:56 pm
Throwing my hat in the ring here again - Carl recently worked with me on another project that wrapped up Feb this year. It still hasn't been released yet, really looking forward to showing it once it's out. Another pixel gig, Carl took the ball and ran with it and created some pretty awesome work. Nice.