AuthorTopic: GR#228 - Alcopops Pixel Sketch Thread - Sprite Process  (Read 31062 times)

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Re: Alcopop's pixel sketch thread

Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 03:34:07 pm
Thank you for that wonderful substantive edit Cyangmou! Super psyched looking at your changes, you really honed in on the elements I forgot about or got lazy with.

I'm not quite done with the edit yet but I wanted to get something down before my week of study started.

to
or

One issue I have in general is creating heavily hue shifted ramps with very little tonal contrast out of habit (and perhaps colour blindness). However I over compensated with this picture and made everything a way too bland, your edit really pushed the colours in a nicer direction. I didn't push it quite to the same extreme but even still, the picture is really popping now.

I love love love what you did with the clouds. My new ones are still a touch rough but I feel lousy about not giving them any attention before what so ever. I tend to treat backgrounds as an afterthought, a habit I badly need to break. I think i'll likewise completely redo the leaves and get them into some nicer shapes and forms as @Manupix was saying as well.

I did a version where I replaced that messy red/brown on the clothing with a more "witchy" dark blue on for the hat and top and boots. Not sure which works more, my instincts tell me the blue brings a bit more vibrancy but what colour balancing I did was done with the green and red/brown so maybe I should stick with that.

I also added some yellow/blue into the hair. The hair in question is meant to be pretty much a white blond but I was hoping to work both blue and yellow into the shading, (a little simular to nia's hair in ttgl)
http://33.media.tumblr.com/362a994ff5f5f900f3b4fb0336e22863/tumblr_mornbrn0Br1qg78wpo1_500.gif

Pupils now exist, took awhile to get right but hopefully they work.

Drop shadows haven't made it onto the pig yet. They looked nice but i'm considering how complex I want the shading to be. I'll get back to this with a verdict.

My colour pallet is still a little weaker then yours, and maybe i'm a being a little to timid, but i'm still a lot happier with the picture over all. I'll re-approach it in a week, any further suggestions on what i've done so far would of course be welcome.

Oh and thanks everyone for the nice comments. :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:40:39 pm by AlcopopStar »

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 06:38:51 pm
Waifu/10. Great work.

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 01:44:13 pm
Hi all,

I'm finally finished study (whew) so I can actually start dedicating some time back to my personal process. Last time i posted, like a month ago, I said I wanted to redo the background on axewitch, but a little too much time has passed to keep me interested so while the background is a problem I think its an issue i'll tackle with a future piece.

I have started something new however,

Still some cleaning left to do but otherwise on track. A little unsure if a background is in order, and if it is, what of? So some thoughts there would be nice. I've tried to keep the pallet a little more saturated and interesting in this one, so it would be nice to know if that's working or not as well. 

So yeah, lemme know what you think. :)

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 09:59:09 pm
Looks pretty good. Not sure why you'd want to do pixel art at this size though... but...

That axe thing is a little confusing.

Her right arm looks smaller then her left arm.

Hands, hands... fingers... practice those!

Though it looks passable from this angle, I'll bet if you flipped that image the other way around she'd really look to be standing in an awkward position. If I had time I'd try it myself.

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 09:52:45 am
Thanks for your crit Evil, very helpful. You've got a good eye if you ask me. ;)

I like to do pixel art at this size because I think it makes me more exacting in my art. I think it gives me a way to focus on elements I consider more fundamental, such as pose and colour, without worrying about things I consider peripheral, like line weight or complex shading. It also gives me a lot of control. I might not stick with this approach forever, but its fun for the time being.

So,

Flipped the pose, I like having the spear looking like it's in reach this way.

Evened her arms up.

Pushed her head and neck back, it was way to far forward, I think this was unbalancing the pose

Hands, well, yeah I need tons of practice, still I cleaned them up and tried to make them less awful

Changed the weapon design, and shrunk it down, to look like something actually functional

A million other tiny changes and general cleaning

The biggest issue remains the hands, they sit a bit flat and are lost in the detail. Not sure what to do about that, if anyone has any advice? beyond that I still have some touch ups and a little shading to get too but crits are still very welcome.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:16:23 am by AlcopopStar »

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 11:35:03 am
the nearest arm looks a bit short to me, and the other hand holding it looks like its warping a bit to do that. i find those circular details on the back of the hands a bit distracting when trying to think about the pose, id delete them for now!

as for making them stand out a bit more, theres less detail and shading on them compared to the surrounding chest/head/shoulders area and theyre not casting a shadow so that wont help. have you thought about trying to introduce different line-widths into your work? i think line-width is often used to add depth in art like this.

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 02:22:10 pm
Thanks for the feedback probo, as always :)

Your right on all fronts, and I tried to amend some of the issues, but I think the broader issue was that the wrist holding didn't make much sense as a pose.

I don't like changing major elements like that at this stage of the image, I find it often unbalances things, but i might make an exception. I added a rough version of what i'm thinking.

>

this way the spear also isn't just floating there.

Better, worse?

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: November 13, 2014, 03:50:44 pm
yeah i like it. its hard to tell why shes looking at the hand now though - before it looked like her hand was hurting because she was grabbing it by the wrist with the other hand. if you change the hands pose a bit it could look more like shes inspecting it or looking at something she is holding in her palm

rough edit -

something like that maybe? excuse my drawing lol

also the furthest shoulder would need redrawing because its still rolled forward from when the arm was coming across her, but im sure youre aware of that

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 11:44:30 am
Okay, so after getting some advice from a few friends I decided to keep the arm where it was and redo the hand. The body language is just a touch better this way.

Beyond that I've added some shading and pretty much polished everything up a touch, so unless there is something really standout to fix i'm pretty much calling this one done.

That said, some quick and dirty background ideas or colours are a welcome suggestion, if anyone has any thoughts.

(edit: added animation) :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 07:11:14 am by AlcopopStar »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 12:28:48 am
Here is my take on the hands. It's rough but I think you get the idea. Also tried to straighten out her stance a tad.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:18:16 pm by EvilEye »