AuthorTopic: Game spritesheet  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Cakeprediction

• huehuehue, newer...er avatar :D
    • View Profile

Game spritesheet

on: September 14, 2014, 06:26:53 pm
Hi there :D. I'm posting this to get some help with sprites I'm working on for a game(Devblog can be found in the secret section and stuff), since I am really not happy with them :/.
Here's a spritesheet:

I'm not really that goog at making grass or brick tiles and such, as you can see(although I'm also not happy with the weapons and the character, though the character feels a bit better), so I'm here to ask some help with that(and pretty much all the stuff :P). The weird line thingy next to the character is the "Slash" that gets displayed when you use a weapon, mainly for spriting convenience. The red gold thingy is the hp and the thing next to that the inventory slot. The darker bricks are background tiles in the tower.

The style I'm trying to go for is a kind of mysterious, mystical/lost Woods kinda vibe(although I didn't start on the background yet, since I suck even more at that) with some pretty derpy characters.

Thank you :D

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Re: Game spritesheet

Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 04:15:32 am
Heya! The character is cute, reminds me of Gussun Oyoyo. I did some edits:

Palette: I toned down the saturation on the sky blue. Saturation is a great way to give visual cues to the player, important things like your health bar, character and things he can interact with should be very saturated to make them "pop", while far background elements are less important (strictly gameplay-wise) and should be toned down.
I illustrated on the tile the ambient light's colour (the sky) will be reflected onto the shaded parts, and should be hued blue; the highlights should show the pure (white) light.
Tiles: Honestly not that fantastic at them myself  :blind:  Though your tiles are quite large, you can pack a lot of detail into them if you want, like the teleporter half I tried.
Character: Fixed the head a bit, adjusted the palette a bit. Made the legs less stick figure-like, added a bit of detail. Again, he's quite large.
Also I kinda like him without arms  :y:

Offline Cakeprediction

• huehuehue, newer...er avatar :D
    • View Profile

Re: Game spritesheet

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:33:22 pm
This helped a lot D:, thanks :).

Alrighty, I remade the tiles a bit and changed some colours(need to make variations on the background ones) on multiple objects, including the player. Also redid his scarf and legs a bit to michelcote's design and completely redid the teleporter(will add some fancy effects when using it). Still not sure what to do with the grass tiles tho :/. Don't know how to make them look more forest-y, because now they look like they come out of some bright magical Rainbow cookie sparkle land(kinda), and still need to come up with some new design for the door.

Also, will probs remake the child enemy(don't know how yet), B'cus he look kinda stupid, and the thingy on the lower left brick is some kind of drawing.

Edit:
hehe, forgot to post the image :P. Here it is: