AuthorTopic: Fast Moving Effect  (Read 3031 times)

Offline Clandesdyne

• Remain calm. We have everything under control.
    • View Profile
    • Clandesdyne

Fast Moving Effect

on: September 07, 2014, 05:09:23 pm
Hi everyone!  I'm working on an animation that has the sprite moving at a high speed, straight up, in the sky.  I'm using a nice parallax scrolling effect with the clouds in the background, but I want to really drive home at how quickly the character is ascending.  The small clouds zooming past helps, but I'm thinking I'd like to add streak particles.  I'm not sure about the most convincing way of doing this.  My first few attempts feel like rain rather than streaks.

(http://youtu.be/I8zv4ebqobY?t=1m53s something like what you're seeing at the 1:53 mark)
I'm trying to get an effect kind of like this, but without obscuring the background.

Do any of you guys have suggestions on ways you've overcome this sort of challenge before?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:26:01 pm by Crow »

Remain calm. We have everything under control.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Fast Moving Effect

Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 07:25:59 pm
Let's see what you got.

I'm trying to get an effect kind of like this, but without obscuring the background.
Why not obscure the bg?
By applying motion blur effects it'll definitely convey speed, and the player needs to focus on the foreground characters anyway.
What are you losing by obscuring the bg?

Like you mention, long dark think lines moving by at fast speeds in exactly the direction being traveled is one cartoonish technique, but I can't see the lines being interpreted as rain (or any other literal, physically existent thing) if animated right.

How about camera shake? I've often seen video reinforce a sense of fast speed by making the camera shake back and forth, as if the air is so turbulent it's rocking the camera.

Offline Clandesdyne

• Remain calm. We have everything under control.
    • View Profile
    • Clandesdyne

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 04:36:45 pm
I'd love to share!  But I can't due to my contract.  I'm sure you understand.

The background couldn't be obscured because the client had several transitions that had to occur in the background while all this speedy flying was occurring. I ended up creating some large, thin, slightly teardrop shaped streaks that shot by.  Worked pretty well when paired with the small clouds flying by in the foreground.

Also, I added a roaring wind sound effect.  I've always thought that animation is 50% audio.  Fireballs are bigger when you use a "WHOOSH"!
Once the animation is released, I'll share it with you guys though.

Remain calm. We have everything under control.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 06:35:13 pm
Yeah, totally understand.

That's right - sound really helps sell any visual if they're well-paired.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 06:24:09 pm by Mathias »