AuthorTopic: [WIP] A Classic Character using Gold Ratio  (Read 4882 times)

Offline LeshrotArt

• View Profile

[WIP] A Classic Character using Gold Ratio

on: September 06, 2014, 05:55:00 pm
I made a character inspired by classic games and I want criticism, and even suggests of classic games, I love the traces of them.

Manik:

PS: They don't fit neatly into the golden ratio.

I want to know which one of the two is better and how I can improve it!

I may change everything, I want to have the greatest flexibility of options.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 06:10:03 pm by LeshrotArt »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: [WIP] A Classic Character using Gold Ratio

Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 12:19:39 pm
I'm no spriter and can't give lots of useful feedback on this, but I'm curious about your rationale using the golden ratio. I never found convincing evidence that it helps artwork in any way.

In these sprites, I see lots of alignments which don't look nice. More like a kind of banding actually.

Offline LeshrotArt

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:35:42 pm
I have read enough about it, we can see some credibility in it, because it is in everything around us, experts say it would be a "fingerprint of God".

Monalisa

Sonic

Apple:

Also search about Twitter and Facebook Layout.

The beauty of people is measured by proximity to the golden ratio, there is a mask called phi mask, people that are beautiful may fit on it. Tom cruise as example, he can fit perfectly in it.

Megan Fox in Phi Mask:

I would like more about the alignments you didn't like, please, show them :)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 09:48:06 pm
oh god . . .

Uhhhm yeah.

I like how the examples go from the Mona Lisa to . . . Sonic.

Just . . . don't get too caught up in science when trying to create art.
Sound composition is one thing, but overlaying fibonacci junk over everything . . .  no.

Offline LeshrotArt

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 10:17:17 pm
  • Art is emotional, passive of committing errors, creative, flexible. 
  • Science is logical, focused and linear.

Using fibonacci is like using any technique (SCIENCE) you've got in tutorials, the question is to be flexible / creative (ART) to be able to apply your skills in different situations.

"Here is natural instinct and here is control. You are to combine the two in harmony, now if you have one to the extreme, you will be very unscientific. If you have another to the extreme, you will all of a sudden be the mechanical man, no longer a human being. It is a successful combination of both. Therefore, it is not naturalness or unnaturalness. the ideal is unnatural, natural or native, unnaturalness." Bruce Lee

I would like feedback about my sprites too :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:22:54 pm by LeshrotArt »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 10:50:18 pm
I'm not denying that some artists consciously use it, but I wonder if it really makes or breaks harmony in a design, because personally I don't see it.
I tried it though: quite long ago, I had an infatuation with Le Corbusier and his Modulor system. I created a series of abstract drawings - simple squares divided by lines - some based on the Modulor and some not. I never noticed a difference, much to my disappointment  :P

I do question claims of finding it a posteriori, though. I can't say the graph matches the Monalisa painting in a compelling way, esp. the vertical lines. The correlation is too weak to be credible.

Also:        ... the suggestion that his Mona Lisa, for example, employs golden ratio proportions, is not supported by anything in Leonardo's own writings. Similarly, although the Vitruvian Man is often shown in connection with the golden ratio, the proportions of the figure do not actually match it, and the text only mentions whole number ratios.

• Science is logical, focused and linear.

You might find Karl Popper (and others) a better introduction to philosophy of science than Bruce Lee  :-X

Ok, back to pixels ;)

The alignments that bother me are those in your gold ratio breakup, mostly the long vertical line and the 2 longest horizontal lines (head-torso-head, forehead-hair, others to a lesser degree) which show up distractingly in the sprites. If you insist on constructing your sprite from smaller GR-derived volumes, you should at least try to avoid these alignments.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 11:19:54 pm
The thing is simply that golden ratio is the basic proportion of nature.
Given that our technical ability is good enough and we are carefully drawing stuff from nature the golden ratio will be there in one form or another.
Also we can lay in golden ratios wherever we want, but we will also start to recognize forms if we are staring long enough to texture patterns and think of something.
We also could argue that every form of living has the same, but slightly modified skeleton.
At the end what causes a "golden ratio" is just the basic principle of how a living form is build up - same as with fractals and trees.

Given that we try to fake 3d space on a 2d surface and a golden ratio is a plain 2d measurement, it's possible to force this proportion over a 3-dimensional composition and adjust placements of things.
But this might violate other aspects of illustrating things, especially proportions and perspective.

It's good and important to know the basics.
However there are other things which might need more attention than proportions at this size. The key for small sprites is readability and that comes with controlled pixel and cluster placement.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 11:55:54 pm
There's denser details inside and sparser details further away, creating a focus point, which is generally considered a pleasing composition... Besides that, the examples don't really show anything that useful or magic as far as I can see.  (A negligible part of an arbitrary portion of Sonic sort of lines up to the curve?  One box is the same height as monalisa's head, and one other box is sort of aligned to some of her nose, but only if you scale and offset the grid that way?)  Interesting experiment, but if God's fingerprints are on your Sonic sprite, I don't think it's really benefiting from them.

I have seen a couple more convincing applications than these examples, but it's just a tool, likely often unintentional and holds no real mystique IMHO.  The Apple logo is pretty interesting, but I guess it's more to do with easy recreation in the pre vector-software world?  (I'm not sure, but it makes sense so you can scale the whole thing by one measurement).