Dragon

on: September 04, 2014, 01:30:28 am

What do you think of my dragon? XD

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Dragon

Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:30:04 am
It looks a bit contorted and the perspective seems off.  From the size of the wings and the big eye I would say it looks like a scared baby dragon, but I'm not sure.

I played with it a little:

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 06:03:14 am
It looks a bit contorted and the perspective seems off.  From the size of the wings and the big eye I would say it looks like a scared baby dragon, but I'm not sure.

And stronger use of dithering implies texture (scales) well.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 10:53:07 am
It's a good and cute start, but there are some basic flaws.
If you haven't already, you should read this tuto (and / or others like it).
Did you use a reference? If yes, link it. If not, find one (or better: several). It looks like you used one for some of it (head, legs), but not all (wings).

This is a good size for practice because the number of pixels remains manageable, but it also means that line work is unforgiving. You should begin by fixing that: there are many places where the lines look jaggy or sloppy and could be improved. For instance, the curve of the back; the variable thickness of legs and tail.
The wings need to be redrawn entirely, on both readability and realism counts.

Then the palette needs tweaking. Study dpixel's edit, it's a big improvement in this (and others) respect.
Shading: you already have a light source, but you need more contrast to make it obvious, as well as highlights.

Although I agree with this, I strongly advise against dithering at this point.
Dithering (and generally refining) is something you should only do on a solid basis, which means a piece where composition, anatomy, color and shading issues have all been fixed.
Also dithering is advanced. That's no reason for not trying though, but just be aware that it's a long, pixel by pixel adventure. Generally, the less dithering, the better.

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 04:35:25 pm

I don't think so. I think it's very, very difficult to make dithering imply anything specific. Cyangmou had a knight recently that somehow make it look like chain mail, but to me dithering is almost always a form of stylization.

Offline Deluxe0111

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 05:16:18 pm
It's a good and cute start, but there are some basic flaws.
If you haven't already, you should read this tuto (and / or others like it).
Did you use a reference? If yes, link it. If not, find one (or better: several). It looks like you used one for some of it (head, legs), but not all (wings).

Then the palette needs tweaking. Study dpixel's edit, it's a big improvement in this (and others) respect.
Shading: you already have a light source, but you need more contrast to make it obvious, as well as highlights.

Thank you i'll have a look :)

This was my reference which was really just for my line work

http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/4234/2/1/20335/how-to-draw-a-cute-dragon-step-7.htm

I think I probably need to go through a few tutorials when it comes to creating a palette and contrast
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 05:23:26 pm by Deluxe0111 »

Offline Deluxe0111

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 06:47:46 am

My improved version

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

At

Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 12:51:04 pm
Much better! Nice wings.

The curve of the back is still a little jaggy at the very top.
The head could possibly use some tweaking too, to keep closer to the ref baby-ish face. The horns will probably need to take some liberty from the ref though; they also might have a different color.
It might be interesting to get away from the ref and try a bigger head anyway, to make better use of what little pixel space you have. It should go well with the cartoon style you're going for.

The brown underside is too thick in the front (neck), as its horizontal outline in continuation of the belly makes an unwanted eye-catching element.

Generally, beware of inside outlines. They take up a lot of space that could (should) be used for shading, and don't help with readability for the smaller elements (eye, claws, wing tip).

Colors: here's a breakdown of your palette.
At least one of the mid-greens should go, possibly two (one is used in only 2 pixels!), and you could do with two browns.

The shadow purple is very dark (almost black on my monitor) and too saturated; also it doesn't make sense as you don't have purple anywhere else, and it's not consistent with the dark green shadows on the dragon itself.
On the contrary in dpixel's edit, the dark blue outlines, dark brown shifted towards colder tones and bluish light greys elsewhere give sense to his light purple shadow.

Avoid pure white, esp in the claws which come out as very noisy.

Try some hue-shifting (as explained in cure's tuto I linked before, also here). Notice how the hues (H column in the HSV breakdown) are very close for all the greens, and for all the browns? You might shift the brighter greens towards warmer colors, and the darker towards colder, and so solve the shadow color issue. You also need near neutrals, to bridge between the greens and browns, for instance. As it is, most of your saturations are above 70.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 06:22:03 pm

My improved version

(I don't know what's up with the white pixels here. Graphics gale acts dumb about transparency sometimes.)

You should turn the saturation down on your colors.
Generally, colors get more saturated the more shaded they are.

Green is cyan mixed with yellow, you can use yellow highlights and cyan-bluish shadows instead of a boring, monochromatic, green ramp.

That shadow color is so dark, it looks like part of the dragon rather than the shadow underneath it.

You don't need to dither here. Especially the belly area absolutely doesn't need it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 06:43:56 pm by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Deluxe0111

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 01:01:04 am

I attempted some hue shifting - not sure about it though

I tried to turn the shadows to a bluer hue as well however it looked odd - I did this by keeping all the values the same except the hue value

Is this the right way of going about it?