AuthorTopic: Pixel professionals of the board, how much do you produce per day?  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile
I want to create a portfolio and see if I can't get hired somewhere. I could likely draw whatever I'm asked, but my concern is that I don't produce fast enough to satisfy an employer.

So, those of you who have professional experience as a pixel artist, how fast is your turnaround?

In other words, at the end of a "typical" workday, how much finished art is in front of you?

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels
I feel like people don't think they have worthwhile or statistically meaningful answers to your question, and so refrained from posting. :-X

It really depends on the skill of the artist, as well as the style of the piece (there are simpler and more elaborate styles) and the familiarity of the artist with the visual elements s/he has to realize (for example, you might have trouble when drawing a vehicle or complex machine, if only because you aren't used to the shapes and 'language' of those objects).

So, you should just try for yourself! Time yourself while doing different sizes and representing entities common to what you want to produce (work in art for games, or draw characters/portraits for people, etc.) :y:

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile
There is no typical. Everybody has different speeds depending on what they're working on ( tiles, sprites, animations, low color count, high color count)  and what their skill level is/ how well they utilize their workflow.

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile
Well, thanks anyways for the input.

Is there any way for me to know if I'm ready? I kinda feel like I should just take the plunge and sink or swim.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
Try to take on something small first. If you are really unsure, take a quick unpaid job so there is less of an obligation.

Offline jtfjtfjtf

• View Profile

Re: Pixel professionals of the board, how much do you produce per day?

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 04:35:55 pm
For me, I follow Parkinson's Law which is "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion" haha. As far as putting down pixels if you hit flow you can probably do as much as you can mentally assess and physically click your mouse within a given time. As others have said it's dependent on a bunch of factors. Familiarity with the subject matter will increase your work rate but if you're unfamiliar with the subject or the style they want you're going to have to devote more time to off pixel research.

If you're the same Daimoth on PixelJoint I think it's really good practice that you're doing the weekly challenges.