AuthorTopic: Crits on my subway level  (Read 2390 times)

Offline KRGR

• View Profile

Crits on my subway level

on: August 23, 2014, 01:01:36 pm
Been having a bit of difficulty nailing the colours and shades. Any crits or help would sure be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Re: Crits on my subway level

Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 02:19:43 am
Not seeing any real problems with this piece, but it would help if you told us what its intended purpose would be -- i.e. background, middleground, tile layer, etc., and showed some hint of what characters/scenery would go with it maybe. Otherwise, there's not much to say since we don't know what your purpose was. Both color and construction-wise, it looks great imo, but that opinion could change depending on its context and its intended use.

Show me where the player would be standing in this image and what he looks like, for example, and I can give you more critique. If a tile layer is supposed to be overlaid on top of this, assuming this is a background image, show that too.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: Crits on my subway level

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 09:02:44 pm
Are the disconnected color ramps a style choice? A more organic palette and some color recycling throughout the piece would probably help, even though I understand you want to separate the train from the bg. The blues and greys of the cars are too close to the bg anyway.
Also this train needs some wear and tear, flaked off paint, bruised edges.

Are the floor tiles necessary? They emphasize the (almost necessarily) broken perspective.