AuthorTopic: Army Barack - How to improve it?  (Read 4061 times)

Offline Borgur

• View Profile

Army Barack - How to improve it?

on: August 29, 2014, 03:56:26 pm

I have started pixel art just recently. I have read some tutorials online but it is never as easy putting it into practice. I am trying to create a top down army barracks room for a game. The room is 2x3 tiles and each tile is 64x64 pixels.

Any help on where I am going wrong and how to improve it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Re: Army Barack - How to improve it?

Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 01:13:21 am
Shadows are highly inconsistent around the bed when compared to the shoes and lighting on the pillow. More than likely you simply didn't pay enough attention to where the light was coming from when you started to where you ended up as the image evolved. I suggest having a clear plan as far as how to light the scene before beginning to define its forms beyond flat colors.

I think your biggest problem lies in the confusion of using too many dark lines and adding 'dithering' at such a small resolution.

That said, you need to first clarify your forms based on their brightness. Instead of the current method you're working, you might instead start with a 2, 4, or 6 color depiction (not including transparency) of form+lighting -- in a grayscale of some sort -- so that you can have a clear idea of where the light, shadows, and transitions are, then put color to those forms later once your scene is defined. Not everyone works this way, but it's good method to practice sensibility in laying out a scene's colors well. The end result of this practice might easily look reminiscent of gameboy coloring essentially, but any colors would work -- as long as the contrast is correctly spaced between the colors in your ramp.

To clarify what I mean -- the difference I'm referring to in your method is equivalent to changing from drawing lines with a pencil to painting blobs of form and lighting with a paintbrush. In terms of pixels, these 'blobs' I refer to are the 'clusters' many people speak of here on pixelation.

To further that shading problem, the guy looks like he is sunk into the bed with a smear of dried milk or smth where his legs should be. This is because you're not thinking in forms and planes or lighting direction -- only "if I use a brighter color, it will look closer to the viewer" which is only true on a very specific lighting condition (i.e. from the top and front of a subject). Even in this condition, you still have to account for shadow cast onto the 3d form from other portions of the form (such as overhanging arms over the legs or whatnot).

Form aside however, you are also using straight greys -- add color to them (either red or blue) because grey is used in pixel art as a color that takes on the color of the surrounding pixels. Since the most-used color in your image is black lines, the greys really dilute any saturation you have in your scene, dulling the other colors way more than they already are.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Borgur

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 04:26:36 pm
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. I will try and implement all your suggestions and post my results up when "complete"

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 07:10:11 pm
With all those black outlines, I find it hard to read what are the objects, where you can walk, etc.
I think it's important to separate the ground from the objects you can actually collide with.

Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 08:19:34 pm
Realism nitpick: these beds are way too wide for army accommodation. Half width is more like it: 70cm for French Army beds, don't ask how I know ;P

Also there's too much / confusing ground detail.

Offline Borgur

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:59:42 pm

Here is where I am at now. I have tried to implement the following suggestions.
- Shading the scene while considering a central light source
- Removed all dithering
- Made the floor lighter and slightly blue.
- Changed the lockers to be slightly red.
- Sort the sleeping character so that it looks better
- Made the beds narrower.

I would appreciate any further help as I'd like to get this room right before I move on to the other ones.
Thanks

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 07:53:56 pm
Your image isn't showing.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Borgur

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 07:32:10 am

Woops my bad. Hopefully this works

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 10:33:49 am
I'm afraid the variable shadows, although true, make it confused and hard to read. Given the unrealistic visual conventions that this type of perspective is based on, it's probably better to give all the beds the same shading.

I'm still bothered by the floor. It clashes with the beds on a composition pov, it doesn't read like army barracks floor (more like a spacecraft-like floor), it's unnecessarily distracting (unless useful in the gameplay). How about a 'simple' ordinary planks or tiles floor?

Offline Borgur

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 07:56:41 pm
Thanks for the feedback with regards to the shadows. As its a game it will most likely be tiled sprites so your suggestion will be useful in that regard as well. As for the floor the game is sci-fi and the room is part of a bunker so that is why the floor is metal. I will try evening out the greys so that they are less distracting as see how that works. Cheers