AuthorTopic: [C+C] NES style platform game mockups  (Read 3283 times)

Offline finalman

• View Profile

[C+C] NES style platform game mockups

on: August 25, 2014, 08:37:49 pm
Hey!

Here are some mockups for a NES style game I am working on. I have decided to relax the NES limitations a bit to make my life easier since I'm not coding this for an actual NES. I do want my game to have an unmistakable NES aesthetic, however.

I'm actually more of a coder than an artist, so any critique will be very helpful to me.

Edit: This is the NES palette I used. (so many garish colors!)

Bonus ninja edit: As you can see the style is very inspired by the Castlevania games. Perhaps a little too much. While I quite enjoy that style it would be nice if I could come up with something a bit more original.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:52:03 pm by finalman »

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: [C+C] NES style platform game mockups

Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 12:09:58 am
Edits:

The red background bricks are quite awesome as is.

Wasn't to keen on some of your colour choices (still far better than the colours in Castlevania  :0#). The cyan tree trunks and red-purple stalagmites and stalactite in particular.
Reused palettes more. Same palette for foreground and background bricks.
Cleaned up the rock texture and increased contrast by making use of black.
Removed the common floor blocks from the ceiling to maintain their purity of purpose and added some variation.

Offline finalman

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] NES style platform game mockups

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:50:15 pm
Thanks for the excellent edit, surt!

I picked the contrasting background colors mostly for readability reasons. It's important that the player interprets them as background, and not spiky dangerous foreground objects. You made it clear in your edit that I can reach the same effect by just working with shading instead. Cool stuff.

I'll try to rework my mockups and bring in some of your ideas.