AuthorTopic: Castle Fade: Animation  (Read 15619 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Castle Fade: Animation

on: August 25, 2014, 06:05:10 am
Hey Everybody. You guys might remember a little thread I posted for gbjam- a question regarding circular platformer staircases. ( Thanks for all the replies!)
http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=17045.0

We ended up not making the deadline for GBJam, but we are still going to make the game! You can see it's project page on gamejolt:

http://gamejolt.com/games/platformer/castle-fade/31760/

Anyways, the animations were of course rapidly done and mostly half assed, but part of that is because I still don't have the knowledge to whole-ass animation. I will update this thread with animations as I come by them, and I am asking for critique on any and all of them! I would still like to keep frame counts low, perhaps 6-8; currently I basically only know how to structure 4 frame walk/run cycles

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Re: Castle Fade: Animation

Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 10:13:47 pm
The sprites are great!
 I like the animations but I do think the climbing animation could have its feet raise up a bit. I'm not sure if there are frame set limitations or not though.
Looking at that link.. those backgrounds are great. The trees look too good to be 4 color!

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:18:34 pm
Thanks! I'll see what I can do with the rope climbing animation. At this size and this color count I sometimes forget what pixels are indicating what! That one actually uses 6 frames I think, more than enough to do stuff.

Here's an animation with a bit more going on. I'm fairly pleased with it as a first attempt, but I would love to push it more. It was supposed to feel like Artorias's spin attack if you know the reference.

----------

I learned a lot with this run, but he feels too dorky :[ Also, any tips on keeping the sword more consistent, less wobbly?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:54:50 am by Ryumaru »

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:32:10 pm
Cool stuff! Those mockups/screenshots look great
Concerning the dorky run, the sword's wobblyness I think can be reduced by making the sword arm and sword static for 3 frames (frame 4 is nice), then tip up on the 4th, back to static 3 frames, tip down on the 8th. Also maybe hide the farthest arm completely on at least 1 frame on the backswing to imply more motion.
Try hyperextending the forward leg a bit on the step maybe? Though I think that would need a deeper running lean to compensate.

Did of couple edits of the attack for fun (they're sloppy but I hope they can get my points across)

First one played with the timing, added a doubleflip, and exagerated the downward cut motion. Also reused the crouch frame to stand back up at the end.

Second one is playing with the frame order for different effect.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:48:52 am

I like your edits with the attack. I tried the double spin, but for some reason yours look better. Maybe I need to make some unique frames for them to feel more "official".

I increased the lean and made the sword more static. It definitely looks better but I don't know if it's exactly what I want.

------

Starting to kind of get the hang of this whole animating thing. Maybe.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:46:47 am by Ryumaru »

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 03:01:59 pm

did a little edit to add some follow-through and contraction to the thrusting moves. Threw a clenching fist in there for a bit of fun!

Offline Hamenopi

• Oh Hai!
    • View Profile
    • Hamenopi

Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 03:17:31 pm
I think the new animation looks a little bit smoother. Good improvement.
Is he a Tengu?

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 11:23:13 pm
Funny how that 1st running set really does look dorky somehow subtly (must've been mostly the posture). The new one is looking better.

:huh: I can't tell the difference on the attack frames you posted and the one Probo posted though.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 12:12:07 am
Probo: Much improved, thank you! The recoil adds some weight and character that I've been looking for!

Hamenopi: Thanks! I didn't really have a Tengu in when creating this, but I guess it sort of fits the bill! Raven's have a relationship to the evil queen in this game and so that's where the form of this character stems from.

llll: I might push the run anim even more; I want it to look super badass  :hehe:
Look closely. There are frames after each main strike with subtle movements.

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 01:36:37 am
looking good dude!

you could add a little more weight to the run by making the guy squash the frame after he touches down:

also i made the tail part move a little more

I like the animation, but maybe the guy could run a bit more dynamically, to match his swordwork! Have you thought about putting the sword in the other arm? Or even on his back or something.

this game looks kickass man

edit> oh also i moved one frame right a pixel as it jumped forward a bit strangely
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:39:10 am by Probo »