AuthorTopic: Janus 2D Exploration Platformer [WIP][C-C]  (Read 6138 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Janus 2D Exploration Platformer [WIP][C-C]

Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 07:51:47 pm
Rubble? As in, the remains of long-destroyed or eroded away structures?
Right now, all those light beige dots/rocks just looks like a different type of natural earth/ground, to me.

Why that prominent vignette? Makes me feel like I'm viewing the world through a telescope or something.
I assume you're just trying to make the world look less spot-colored and want to introduce some gradation for enhanced impact/depth. Which I agree with, but I think your execution is lacking.
See a Hyper Light Drifter example of gradiently shaded low-res pixels.

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Re: Janus 2D Exploration Platformer [WIP][C-C]

Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 08:20:24 pm
Rubble? As in, the remains of long-destroyed or eroded away structures?
Right now, all those light beige dots/rocks just looks like a different type of natural earth/ground, to me.

Why that prominent vignette? Makes me feel like I'm viewing the world through a telescope or something.
I assume you're just trying to make the world look less spot-colored and want to introduce some gradation for enhanced impact/depth. Which I agree with, but I think your execution is lacking.
See a Hyper Light Drifter example of gradiently shaded low-res pixels.
Rubble as in what you've stated. The vignette is something I implemented quite a while ago to give a bit of cinematic look to the game and to supply a bit more depth and visual interest. Do you have any suggestions on other ways that I could go about this?
Here's an edit on the tiles:

Although now I feel that they don't really look weathered enough or broken up but I do like this much more than the others I made.