AuthorTopic: Janus 2D Exploration Platformer [WIP][C-C]  (Read 6141 times)

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Janus 2D Exploration Platformer [WIP][C-C]

on: August 16, 2014, 10:28:40 pm
== CURRENT VERSION==

Hey gang,

It's been a while since I've posted on here (about a year) and I'm working on yet another project! It's funny how one drops and picks things up after a while but I feel like I really have something with some good honest substance this time around. I wont dive into the story or any of that, seeing how I'm looking for critique on a number of things.
Lets start off with some screenshots:

Aside from wanting crit on the overall design and atmosphere of my map, I'm also looking for crit on my new walking animation:

I haven't made the arms yet because I'd rather finish the legs before the arms just to keep things neat and simple.

I uploaded the main screens in 2x but can easily provide 1x screenshots for editing purposes if anyone needs them (I was simply too lazy to change the camera scaling settings which would've taken all of two seconds).  I always appreciate the comments and ideas given to me when I visit this board, so I look forward to what you all have to say this time :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:39:09 pm by Tidbit »

Offline Zia

• Pixel herding is hard work.
    • View Profile

Re: Janus 2D Exploration Platformer [WIP][C-C]

Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 11:58:14 pm
I think it might be worthwhile to up the contrast of the two greens in the grass. It's very hard to distinguish between the colours unless I'm looking veeeeery closely.
Eriophora Zia

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 12:43:07 am
I think it might be worthwhile to up the contrast of the two greens in the grass. It's very hard to distinguish between the colours unless I'm looking veeeeery closely.
They actually aren't meant to be different shades of green (save for the minor highlights), the color variation is from when I was tweaking the main ground tilesheet (which I have separated from the flora for special reasons).

EDIT:

Unless what you meant were the darker shades of green that I use in a few places? If that's what you meant then I totally agree that they need to be a bit darker or slightly different hue.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 05:12:54 pm by Tidbit »

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 06:31:05 pm
Here's a pretty minor update on some tiles for an underground ruins area:

It's still very unfinished but I'm trying to carry along some of the style choices from the screenshots posted above.
I would really appreciate some CC on the tiles and the animation above since all I've gotten is something about the shades of green I use in my grass; I know no work is free of errors so please, fire away!

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 08:03:57 pm

I think the pillars lack contrast, and tinkered with the palette. I mostly removed  some redundant colours, and also edited the character a bit.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 09:26:19 pm
Background elements you might not want to have unneeded contrast, though. You can see it's silhouette, you know what it is. Does it really need to say more?

An edit:

I did stuff.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 02:17:58 am
Grass has too much visual priority for me.
Note what Mathias did with the column and the background to make them recede despite being warm colours...

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 03:30:46 am
You're totally right. They look like important gameplay elements since they draw the eye so much, but I'm sure they're just decor.

Here:

Did more stuff.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:08:24 pm by Mathias »

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 07:20:11 am
Thanks for all the crit so far everyone! I'm a bit upset with myself that I didn't release something more finished for the new tilesheet but oh well.
The pillar objects are intended to be jump through solids which is why there are a large number of them throughout the level; although, I liked the idea of having some pillars as background elements so I went ahead and made a BG prop variant:

I'm going to have to change the wrap around flora for the pillars in the back as I think it looks pretty bad. I also think I'll be scraping the tiles I posted earlier as they just dont fit what I'm going for in the world. I think if I'm going for a constructed look I'll have to slowly build up those elements in the tiles as opposed to having two drastically different sets of tiles in the same world since they'd look really out of place.
Also, I implemented some of the character edits.
I'll have more to show when I wake up, it's bed time for this guy (its almost 3:30am!)  :blind:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:25:43 am by Tidbit »

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 07:38:28 pm
=Minor update time=

Here's a little update on the "transition" tiles I talked about a few days ago. These are the kinds of tiles that'll eventually lead onto less weathered areas of the world where the ground will transition to more complete bricks in the tiles and all that. I wanted to portray a sense of rubble being embedded into the ground or sort of broken away and I think I'm headed in the right direction. If anything, I think that the rubble is a bit too strong in some areas (the flat pieces and the walls) that I'd have to make tiles that helped transition to those as well. Thoughts and opinions?