AuthorTopic: [C+C] Kitties  (Read 3583 times)

Offline noriah

• View Profile

[C+C] Kitties

on: August 15, 2014, 11:18:34 am
I'm working on kitties for a 2d game, looking for critique, especially on animation.

Here's my first revision:

And the second:

Working with flats for now until the animation is closer to final. Right now it's 7 colors.
Added a squash pose for each step and got the tail arc working better. Suggestions/drawover on the tail would be appreciated, I'm going for a tail that gets a bit thicker towards the second half, but it isn't really working out like that.
New to pixelation, I've pixeled before, but this is my first animation. Thanks for reading :)

Offline noriah

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Kitties

Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 12:34:40 pm
Okay so today I came to the realization that my character is basically a flour sack, so instead of doing a bouncing ball rough I did a flour sack rough.
While looking for reference from the Illusion of Life (because I'm too lazy to go find my copy) I came across this article, which is well written:
The misunderstood flour sack

I want to push the squash and stretch more, so I'll rework it based on the flour sack.
Someone also pointed out I have the arms and legs moving in the same direction, oops!
I'm going to leave the tail out until I work everything else out.

Irregardless, here is my flour sack test:

Now to translate this discovery to my kitty!

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 02:12:12 pm
THe misunderstood floor sack points out that in order to achieve a realistic behaviour of an animation you have to consider the underlying structure of bones and muscles.
If you go to stretch and squash it really far you can achieve a cartoony overdrawn look.
The floorsack is a practice for shifting masses, rather than for giving something a personality

The basic problem we are facing here is the constructive approach of drawing and observations coming from the anatomical side of art added to simplified models.
This means that the big forms of any character have to be established (or at least considered in a static state) before squash and stretch is added, in order to keep the illusion of space convincing.

If I look over your kitten it seems to be made out of a big conical cylinder.

I did this quick basic drawing of the forms to show you which basic considerations I made.

3 baseframes of the initial sketch constructed on top of your design - pretty jerky

+2 inbetweens - 8 frames now with the loop - so we already got a good fluid animation on 2's

adding the up& down movement to the steps and here is start to add weight.
As you can see every step is now reduced to 4 frames (there are 2 dons and 2 ups in the animation)

now the limbs can be animated (or you could decide on adding more frames before this, if you have to add them afterwards you might have to redo some animated parts)

removed help lines for a better view (otherwise the same as the image before)

as you see this rough animation has so far no squashing and stretching applied, the construction lines are still and the whole body lacks movement.
Although it's of utmost importance to reach this step with solid forms (or at least consider it in your mind)  before you add any stretching or squashing.
If you add it, without considering the main forms it looks like your sack (there is no underlying structure)

I'd say that a clear visible stretch and squash for this animation needs an animation on 1's (16 frames total or 8 per step) to make the forms flowing and that it adds up on impression without distracting too much.
It's possible to slightly shift the forms with 4 frames per step, although it rather will look like a change of proportions than an animation with shift (look at your sack again considering this)
However the current animation is too static in terms of vertical movement, so it might work out there.

The natural stretch and squash usually comes from a shift of weight or how the power if the body hits the ground is affecting it.
The bones stay static, the muscles shift their forms due to the movements but are somewhat solid, the fat on top always has a follow-through quality.
Means the bone structure of the feet hit the ground and after that (next frame) the fat gets the shock from the direction change and we have a squash (hope it's understandable what I mean there)
However we can break bones in drawing if we want to, an it might not even look off, if the timing and spacing is on spot.

Adding stretching and squashing (to walkcycles, which aren't fast movements) without a solid constructive foundation mostly leads to an unintended change of the volume of the masses.
For fast movements the mass preservation works considerable different.

But it's definitely worth to consider forms and construct them before considering deformation.
And then alter the solid foundation jus to the point where it breaks, or you want to break it deliberately in order to achieve another effect.
If you are going to break stuff make sure that it has enough frames, that the intended movement you want to describe to the viewer can be understood easily.

So for your sack and/or cat example this means, add either more frames to underline the animation or tone down the movement, to let it look more convincing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:28:42 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline noriah

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 11:32:16 am
Thanks for such a comprehensive and thoughtful response Cyangmou. m(_ _)m
Indeed, I didn't really do any animation planning before I started drawing so the animation suffers from basic construction issues. :P

Overall with the flour sack, I'm trying to break away from being precious about the silhouette, and to push the squash and stretch in the movement as far as possible. When I animate I naturally err on the subtle side, so if I do planning that's too far, I find it easier to make it more lively.

The flour sack's squash does pop, since it has too few frames, but I like the motion, for blocking stage. The up/down is a lot better and it feels less like cardboard.
For now I'm keeping it in flats and as few frames as possible to make it easy to correct. For example, the tail's going to take a lot less time to correct when there's only six frames! Once I've got the motion in a better place I can noodle. For the final animation I'll probably err more towards double what I've got now, maybe a bit more if I want to ease.

For this revision, I've added in a pass pose:

The blue is just a WIP thing, it'll go back to orange next update.
Though it's kinda hard to see on a light bg, hm.

Edit 8/20:
Here's the next version:

Next to the blue one, to make it easy to compare. Went through and separated into layers to make editing easier.
Added in some follow through on the ears, not sure if it's too much.
Once I work out the tail, I'm thinking about working on the first background.

Cracked open Richard Williams and thought about wave action:

I'll work on the tail tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:52:14 am by noriah »

Offline noriah

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 12:01:21 pm
Here's today revision:

Added the tail. Took four or five retries before I could figure out an arc that would fit in the space without forcing the tail to touch the body.

I'm going to try doing some background stuff next before I come back and do the shading on the kitty.