AuthorTopic: Need help understanding this palette! And another thing relating to rendering.  (Read 2105 times)

Offline N0ixZ3

• View Profile
I'm sure most if not all of you have heard of this dude: http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/17621.htm
I really love his speedpaints and gallery but I have a hard time understanding how he uses his colors.

(Attempting to make this question short and easy to understand)

I've read on this site or another about color neutralizers and such and I kind of get a hint of what they are but I don't know what his neutralizers would be since he has so many funky colors and I'm used to seeing Neutralizers being funky colors on the thread I read it on.

I really love his style and I want to be able to create a nice palette as such using whatever color I want and so I need more understanding on which temperatures/value ranges are his/the shadows, lights and highlights/neutralizers that help me achieve this kind of style of coloring.

Last question: Whats the best way to know which part of the lineart I should tint with the rest of my colors or what kind of thought should I keep in mind to make it easier to come up with the decision on my own and not be failed at least some of the time?

Final notice:
No need to tell me to develop my own style, that's what I plan on doing when I'm experienced enough but I just want to study from Jinn and others and I don't really know how to study pixel art well despite all the reading I've done on and off this site, I just need guidance on this.  Thanks for reading and whatever comments are hopefully to come.  :D

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage
I'm sure most if not all of you have heard of this dude: http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/17621.htm
I really love his speedpaints and gallery but I have a hard time understanding how he uses his colors.

Jinn is a regular visitor to these forums.

I've read on this site or another about color neutralizers and such and I kind of get a hint of what they are but I don't know what his neutralizers would be since he has so many funky colors and I'm used to seeing Neutralizers being funky colors on the thread I read it on.
complementary colors amplify each other if they are put close or next to each other.
In the color wheel complimentary colors are opposite to each other

neutralizing colors means graying out tints. It's practically the same effect as complimentary colors have, although the goal is to make the colors appear more towards gray, rather then amplifying them.

I really love his style and I want to be able to create a nice palette as such using whatever color I want and so I need more understanding on which temperatures/value ranges are his/the shadows, lights and highlights/neutralizers that help me achieve this kind of style of coloring.
practice, study, practice, study etc. - lots of it
then take the basics you learned and try to understand what the artist you are looking at did.

Last question: Whats the best way to know which part of the lineart I should tint with the rest of my colors or what kind of thought should I keep in mind to make it easier to come up with the decision on my own and not be failed at least some of the time?
You are going to fail.
Start seeing failure as a chance to improve.
Digital art luckily can be edited quite easily.
If it comes to pixel art and color, it's one of the easiest things to adjust.
experienced artists came to their decisions through their own failures - and they "failed" more often than you might have ever tried it.

Final notice:
No need to tell me to develop my own style, that's what I plan on doing when I'm experienced enough but I just want to study from Jinn and others and I don't really know how to study pixel art well despite all the reading I've done on and off this site, I just need guidance on this.  Thanks for reading and whatever comments are hopefully to come.  :D
study traditional painting for colors
study general art techniques and practices to improve your artistic ability
pixel art just limits you in your blending possibilities if it comes to limited colors and it also displays you in displaying detail.
all artists which are great with pixel art are usually also quite capable without pixels.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter