AuthorTopic: Nina the platform game heroine  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Nameless Force

• View Profile

Nina the platform game heroine

on: August 12, 2014, 10:26:27 am
Meet Nina the platform game heroine.  Age 16, ethnicity Arab, wears blue jeans and a black tank top, wields a scimitar.  C&C welcome as always.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:30:18 am by Nameless Force »

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: Nina the platform game heroine

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 05:09:09 pm
Why did you open new tread when you've already had tread about this girl?

http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=16655.msg150853#msg150853

You didn't even reply on edits back then so I don't know if it's even worth spending time on doing that again.

Offline Nameless Force

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:13:14 am
I opened a new thread because the original is almost three months old now and some message boards dislike resurrecting old threads.  And sorry about not replying to the original thread.  I did end up incorporating some changes based on that thread, but forgot to post them.

Anyway, more pictures:

edit: And here's an animation:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:07:08 pm by Nameless Force »

Offline 2dKnight

• View Profile
    • 2D Knights

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 07:25:00 pm
I took the liberty of editing your sprite. Feel free to use  :)

The original costume is too dark, matching black and blue isn't recommended because or eyes aren't as sensitive to blue light. Also since the character is dark skinned I suggest not clothing them in so many dark colors to help provide contrast.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:32:14 pm by 2dKnight »

Offline Nameless Force

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 11:44:48 am
@2dKnight: Actually, this character originally had a white shirt, but I changed it to black because I thought it fit her personality better.  That said, I agree that she could use more contrast.

Experiment with black outlines:

Not sure if this looks better, but it certainly makes her more visible against certain backgrounds.

Experiments with shirt colors:

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 09:25:46 pm
Imho, you've got a bit too much space between the eye (usually, there's one eye distance between the two eyes), which gives her more an animal look than a human look, imvho. That feeling is reinforced by the lack of nose or mouth. 2DKnight's edit imho fixes the issue.

There's a readability issue with dark hair + dark skin, too, especially since your brown skin is somewhat blue-ish. I'm impressed how the hairband fixed that, clearly separating the two clusters. Clever trick.

Offline Nameless Force

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 09:26:56 am
Decided on the orange shirt colour; experimented with closer eye placement and a subtle mouth:

It's hard to draw a mouth on a noseless face without it looking like this: :)  Harder still to draw a convincing nose at this scale that isn't comically exaggerated.

I don't know what to do about the hair/skin colour separation.  A headband fixes the issue for this one character, but I've got a lot of dark-skinned dark-haired characters in the game, and they can't realistically all wear headbands.

Edit: more animations:
Edit2: added missing left arms:

Edit3: more animations:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 01:35:08 pm by Nameless Force »

Offline 2dKnight

• View Profile
    • 2D Knights

Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 10:54:34 pm
Decided to look in on this topic again.

Your sword swipes need secondary motion. Just having the arm move looks unnatural. Often its enough to shift the sprite back a pixel, when a weapon is drawn back, and forward a pixel at the end of the swing.

Quick edit

Also Black is doable too the important thing is to try to keep your different parts of the sprites sharp and distinct. In any case don't get discouraged keep at it you'll get better.