AuthorTopic: [C + C] Capy Style Knights  (Read 4095 times)

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

[C + C] Capy Style Knights

on: August 06, 2014, 11:58:16 am
I was looking at Vic Nyguen's (from Capy (correct me if I'm mistaken!!!)) take on Street Fighter and I said, "Hey!  That's awesome!  Imma try it (though I used correct pronunciation)!"

So here are a male and female knight in his (I assume not her) style.  Thoughts on colors and readability?  Or whatever else stands out to you.

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:42:05 am by miro42 »

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Re: [C + C] Capy Style Knights

Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 03:54:10 pm
Your link doesn't work.

Also, the 'female' just looks like a young teenage boy due to its lack of height and hair -- doesn't come across as an adult woman at all unfortunately. You could also try a more clearly female pose and possibly display the breasts in silhouette to emphasize the long legs and curves if you still require the short hair.

If you kept the current pose, you could try shrinking the feet and lower-legs a bit to make her more stylistically female because right now, you're somewhat suggesting she's got a size-15-in-men's-shoes like the big burly guy (pixel-wise) -- or the other way around, which could still work with a more clearly female form/pose, but with the added (dis?)advantage that the guy looks more comical due to his very small legs -- though his face currently looks too feminine and childlike to really work comically with that style of body (jut the chin, shrink the mouth, turn the head to the side, etc. etc. to increase his look of manliness).
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 05:05:46 pm

I was actually just doing a cluster study on your stuff.
Cool sprites.
* may contain misinformation

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 10:31:30 am
Your link doesn't work.

Oops!  It should be fixed, now.  I put "" in there. :P

Also, the 'female' just looks like a young teenage boy due to its lack of height and hair -- doesn't come across as an adult woman at all unfortunately. You could also try a more clearly female pose and possibly display the breasts in silhouette to emphasize the long legs and curves if you still require the short hair.

If you kept the current pose, you could try shrinking the feet and lower-legs a bit to make her more stylistically female because right now, you're somewhat suggesting she's got a size-15-in-men's-shoes like the big burly guy (pixel-wise) -- or the other way around, which could still work with a more clearly female form/pose, but with the added (dis?)advantage that the guy looks more comical due to his very small legs -- though his face currently looks too feminine and childlike to really work comically with that style of body (jut the chin, shrink the mouth, turn the head to the side, etc. etc. to increase his look of manliness).

Thanks for the input, astraldata!

I'm not necessarily going for a very feminine look as she is supposed to be just another knight, undistinguished by sex, but I did divide up her breastplate to give an impression of breasts (defeating the practical purpose of a breastplate).  I'm not really sure what you meant by breasts in silhouette, so I gave it a shot.

I got rid of the rosy cheeks of the dude and gave him a bit of stubble/beard, reconfigured his torso a bit as well as the whole lower body, because something felt wrong about the position of his legs or hips.  I'm still not satisfied, but I figured I'd just throw it out there for further thoughts.

I was actually just doing a cluster study on your stuff.
Cool sprites.

Cool!  And thanks, Ambivorous.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 12:37:03 am
That works well actually, both for the male and female. In this case, regarding the breasts, that works well without changing the pose. I just meant that you could change the pose as a last resort so that a breast could show in the silhouette if you were having trouble representing them from the front (i.e. by putting her chest in more of a side-view or smth).

That being said, clarity is more important than practicality -- bottom line -- especially in very small sprites like these. Since you have very little space to work with, every pixel must count towards characterization and/or the clarity of the form, and those must be simple and readable.

At first glance, for example, the guy's new stubble beard isn't clearly readable since it's almost exactly the same value/intensity/lightness as the skin color on his face, so he might as well remain clean-shaven. This sort of missing contrast makes it even hard to tell where his chin ends as it appears to run into the breastplate area at first glance as well. The solution is to either darken or lighten the skin or the stubble to give it more contrast when compared to its adjacent pixels.

Following that, the reason why the Street Fighter sprites in your link read so well is because they have high-contrast color schemes. Each palette entry is very distinct value-wise, so when squinting to look at the sprite, you will never see portions of the sprites that appear to blend together.

That being said, the key is ensuring that your sprite's adjacent clusters look distinct enough from one another in terms of light and dark (try putting the image as greyscale to check how distinct your color intensities appear next to one another if squinting doesn't work for you).
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:13:04 am
Thanks, so much astraldata!  That's some awesome advice.  I don't mind admitting that I know very little about color and how to use it so this really helps. 

Here's my edit.  I tried to make more contrast between almost everything.  I kept switching to greyscale, and some colors really don't pop, like the beard still doesn't, but outside of changing the color, I don't really know what to do about it.  I want them to have blonde hair.

So what do you think?  Better?  Worse?