AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Isometric Boreal Forest Tileset  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Zia

• Pixel herding is hard work.
    • View Profile

[WIP][C+C] Isometric Boreal Forest Tileset

on: August 05, 2014, 10:41:33 am
I'm working on developing tilesets for an isometric game. I'd love some critiques on how it's all pulling together - thoughts on colour palette are particularly welcome, as it's the area I've been working on most.

Current colour palette:

Test map:

and a more spread out image so the foliage is clearly visible on its own:

Do note that the roof of the house is currently just stub tiling - even the house blocks themselves are likely going to be reworked. Does the slightly mint-toned colour work for them, though? Does that look off? Would it be better for the window glass to contrast more and create a "shinier" feel to them?

Trees currently have a fairly impressionistic feel - the tree on the left in the second image feels really abrupt at the base and on the right of the top. I think it would be better to have this feel a bit more fluid to go with that. I'm not sure if the tree on the right has lighting that makes a lot of sense, nor am I convinced that the way it all seems to come out from the center feels correct.

I'll also be creating edging and transitional tiles between grass and plain tiles, but I'd prefer to get the basic form down before making all of those. Any general thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:44:32 am by Zia »
Eriophora Zia

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Isometric Boreal Forest Tileset

Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 06:07:58 am
Whew :ouch: the colors are really drab. Maybe you have some reason for using such a palette?