AuthorTopic: GR#203 - Hyper Light Drifter Inspired Sprites  (Read 69430 times)

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Re: Hyper Light Drifter Inspired Sprites

Reply #70 on: July 09, 2014, 02:04:56 am
if the intention is to further your artistic prowess, following the dimensions of a single sprite in a single game so much as to ignore jarring oddities in a character's pose will not help you in that regard. just try to fix it.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: July 09, 2014, 05:02:57 am
if the intention is to further your artistic prowess, following the dimensions of a single sprite in a single game so much as to ignore jarring oddities in a character's pose will not help you in that regard. just try to fix it.

It isn't a single game though. Aside from the angle of the sword, that is his pose in Zelda II, the Smash games, and likely others. 

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #72 on: July 09, 2014, 09:15:59 am
Fizzick means HLD being the single game you're restricting (/excusing) yourself with.  Latest edit is an improvement, but it still looks like his short legs are running away from him.  Don't have this issue with the Zelda 2 sprite or Smash Bros gif you linked to. 

Maybe it'd help if you explained what is it about HLD you're inspired by?  Assume it's not the exact sprite dimensions?  Just general rendering style with solids?  IMO all the really special stuff about HLD is design stuff, so there's not much of interest left if you switch all the design stuff with a different character's.  But there's still plenty of style-guide type stuff you're skipping, if that's something you want to explore further (eyes, general anatomy shape, thinner limbs etc).  If I saw your Links now I would sooner think of a 1980s arcade game than Hyper Light Drifter, like Jungle King or something. 

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: July 09, 2014, 02:47:21 pm
Fizzick means HLD being the single game you're restricting (/excusing) yourself with.  Latest edit is an improvement, but it still looks like his short legs are running away from him.  Don't have this issue with the Zelda 2 sprite or Smash Bros gif you linked to. 

Maybe it'd help if you explained what is it about HLD you're inspired by?  Assume it's not the exact sprite dimensions?  Just general rendering style with solids?  IMO all the really special stuff about HLD is design stuff, so there's not much of interest left if you switch all the design stuff with a different character's.  But there's still plenty of style-guide type stuff you're skipping, if that's something you want to explore further (eyes, general anatomy shape, thinner limbs etc).  If I saw your Links now I would sooner think of a 1980s arcade game than Hyper Light Drifter, like Jungle King or something.

Inspired just because it looks more or less (or at least the end goal is) looking like Hyper Light Drifter with the no shading, easy to see sections of the parts, general low bitness, and animation style.  I took some liberties like the eyes and limb thickness because it doesn't work as well with other characters, as they have a defined appearance that originated in another game.  A character like Fin from Adventure Time would look better with 1 pixel wide limbs because of the style.

I'll look at the legs again, but developing a separate style isn't a terrible thing.

Made it a bit more akin to Smash Bros rather than Zelda II, lengthened his legs and messed with pants/boot color.

Also, Finn to prove a point.  He's a character where it makes sense for spaghetti limbs.

With Portal colors for the Sword Beams as they were originally.

The others are better in my opinion, but I got stuck creatively if that makes sense.

Also, seeing as he's actually in Smash 4...

A very-slightly-more-than-a-recolor of Takamaru.
https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzSOWtkMYV5tSrg
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:23:22 am by Rosier »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: August 07, 2014, 12:23:54 am

More reduxes, this time Kid Icarus. 

Original, "What it would look like now," current design (bonus Dark Pit) in the style.

---

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:23:40 pm by Rosier »