AuthorTopic: [WIP] Working on a desert tileset, need help.  (Read 3028 times)

Offline FailedRedditAccount

• View Profile

[WIP] Working on a desert tileset, need help.

on: July 29, 2014, 06:17:12 am
- 5x scale

- 1x scale

Made with Pyxel Edit on 32x32 tiles.

Things I know I have left to do -
 1 - Tidy up some ugly looking lines.
 2 - Shading.
 3 - Possible color palette modification.
 4 - Get rid of the black outlines at some point.

Other than that I'm looking for feedback on the color choice, the perspective, and the general appearance of the tileset.

Thanks,
FailedRedditAccount

Edit: I'd also like to ask if there is a better way to represent sand than just some wavy lines on the tile.

Offline Blobber

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Working on a desert tileset, need help.

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:54:07 am
Check out section 3 over here for tips on sand (and all other things tiles related):

http://opengameart.org/content/chapter-8-a-world-of-tiles

I don't really know what style art you are going for, but 5 colors seems pretty basic - even CGA had more. If you remove the black, I think it will just look like blocks of color with no idea what we are looking at.

Offline FailedRedditAccount

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:43:15 pm
What I am working towards is shading the tiles like this:

1x scale:

5x scale:

Offline Zia

• Pixel herding is hard work.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 03:24:27 am
To be honest, I'm not totally sure what I'm looking at there. Is it a rock? If it's a rock, what are those tendril-y things? Is it a plant? Maybe even an insect carapace of some sort?

I think it might be worthwhile for you to take a look at some other pixel art similar to what you're wanting to do, as well as check out some reference pictures. Maybe start on something small - for example, say "I am going to make a rock" rather than start with "I am going to make a full desert tileset." When you can make the individual components at a higher quality on their own, that might be the time to look at making a whole map's worth of assets.
Eriophora Zia

Offline Blobber

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 05:28:45 am
To be honest, I'm not totally sure what I'm looking at there. Is it a rock? If it's a rock, what are those tendril-y things? Is it a plant? Maybe even an insect carapace of some sort?

I think this sums it up. I'm not really sure what any of the content in your original post is intended to be. If you gave us some more information about what all of this is, we might be able to give you some tips or examples. Otherwise, its a little confusing - like you are shading a blob of color, to turn it into a 3d blob of color.