AuthorTopic: Pixel.tools editor allows artists to pixel together on the same image/animation.  (Read 39810 times)

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
Same story as last time: primary viewport and colordex update okay, secondary is not visible and tweaking its options does not make it become visible. Verified in FF and Midori.

Out of curiosity, is there currently any way to generate intermediate colors (eg. for Colordex usage)? I tried generating an intermediate color using GPick (which yields standard RGB hex colors), but DnD onto the color panel showing the current color doesn't really work(acts like the color is a url I want to go to). Not too surprising, I get the impression DnD in relation to the web is kind of tricky.

I suppose it can sort-of be done via colordex loading. BTW I think I glitched the colordex somehow, by selecting the brush tool and alt-clicking in the colordex. after that a)both the brush tool and the pencil tool were simultaneously shown as active, and b) ctrl+clicking on color regions in the colordex erased them. My solution for now involves *not alt-clicking* ;)
Haven't got the brush tool to do anything useful yet, but I guess I just need to reread the instructions and experiment.

I was going to ask if the colordex system is based on straightforward spatial movement through the colordex pixels according to the set start and end points, because that seemed too simple to be true, but I guess I've asked enough questions for now.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:30:27 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
Same story as last time: primary viewport and colordex update okay, secondary is not visible and tweaking its options does not make it become visible. Verified in FF and Midori.

Out of curiosity, is there currently any way to generate intermediate colors (eg. for Colordex usage)? I tried generating an intermediate color using GPick (which yields standard RGB hex colors), but DnD onto the color panel showing the current color doesn't really work(acts like the color is a url I want to go to). Not too surprising, I get the impression DnD in relation to the web is kind of tricky.

I suppose it can sort-of be done via colordex loading. BTW I think I glitched the colordex somehow, by selecting the brush tool and alt-clicking in the colordex. after that a)both the brush tool and the pencil tool were simultaneously shown as active, and b) ctrl+clicking on color regions in the colordex erased them. My solution for now involves *not alt-clicking* ;) But I was curious, the brush tool implementation is incomplete right now, yes? (so far, whatever I have done, I got it to either a) have no effect at all when drawing, or b) plot black, all the black, and nothing but the black.

okay, try now and see if both viewports update..

as for the colordex thing, there's no current way to generate intermediate colors.
hm, that's odd.. I just tried to use the colordex and it doesn't work for me either. I wonder if something I implemented recently affected it..
edit: oops.. it actually works or me, I had forgotten how to use it :P
uhm.. if you alt click in the colordex, that should eyedop the colors, if you eyedrop an empty space itll eyedrop black..
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:58:49 am by AlexHW »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
I may have made a mistake when doing the last test -- I just realized I can get the Secondary view window to appear using Window->Secondary view, so possibly I could have gotten the Secondary window working in my last round of testing if I had realized this.

On this round of testing, main view and colordex are fine, and secondary is .. different.
When drawing, it is updated correctly; When the button is released to end drawing, it is cleared to transparent.
Adjusting zoom of secondary view works (secondary view continues to update per description above)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
I may have made a mistake when doing the last test -- I just realized I can get the Secondary view window to appear using Window->Secondary view, so possibly I could have gotten the Secondary window working in my last round of testing if I had realized this.

On this round of testing, main view and colordex are fine, and secondary is .. different.
When drawing, it is updated correctly; When the button is released to end drawing, it is cleared to transparent.
Adjusting zoom of secondary view works (secondary view continues to update per description above)

okay, good.. try it now to see if the strokes stay in the secondary view..
btw,  edited my previous post incase you didn't see.. I had forgotten how to use the colordex which is why I thought it wasn't working for me, but it is working for me now that I remember how to use it..

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
I was going to ask if the colordex system is based on straightforward spatial movement through the colordex pixels according to the set start and end points, because that seemed too simple to be true, but I guess I've asked enough questions for now.
yea, it scans the pixels, finding blobs of color, ordering them into a list, and uses this data when you draw over other colors that the list relates with. I generalized the explanation, but it is fairly straightforward.

edit: if that colordex issue for you is reproducible, and only happens with a certain set of colors, maybe you could export an image of it so I can see how you have the colors organized. It might be something related to the complexity of your color ramps.. but I'm only guessing.. Otherwise it might be something weird if it was an accidental thing.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:17:25 am by AlexHW »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
Looks like a winner! The colordex, primary view, and secondary view all update promptly, and adjusting zoom works fine on both of them. Verified also on Chromium.

AFAICS the colordex glitch is not dependent on a particular set of colors, but seems to occur like this:

1. accidentally plot color on the colordex while attempting to set start/end position, turning eg a run of darkblue-purple-pink-white into darkblue-purple-pink-white-darkblue
2. Successfully set start or end position, so that the run encompassed is the aforementioned accidentally-modified one which begins and ends with the same color
3. Script becomes confused and eats a lot of CPU time
4. Firefox becomes enraged and kills script
5. Area of colordex is erased (I'm guessing this is due to the colordex analysis being temporarily destructive to the colordex, and the script being interrupted before it can be restored)

This can probably be largely avoided using the colordex lock, though I guess you probably also want to incorporate a check for the pathological case where a ramp contains a color more than once non-contiguously.

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, now that I think about it, straight spatial movement wouldn't exactly work because colors are not guaranteed to be unique, even after compressing runs of the same color.

On the generating inbetween colors thing, I guess I'll just go with GIMP's Pencil tool on a colordex export for now, since GIMP accepts color DnD.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:53:46 am by Ai »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
Okay, now we need to re-enable some stuff one by one to see if the issue was addressed.. Let me know if it still works now.

As for the colordex bug.. I wasn't able to reproduce that specific way of messing it up, but I was able to mess it up by pressing ctrl and alt a lot while clicking around randomly.. I'll have to see if there is any way to prevent this sort of thing. But yea, when it is forced to stop calculating the colordex, it will end up removing whatever color it was currently traversing..

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
Yep, that still works fine.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
okay, good.. try now, let me know if everything works still.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
Now :
* secondary view updates, but changing zoom stops it updating
* primary view does not update, nor colordex

Note that there is no official Wacom web plugin for Linux, so the sidebar warning about this may not make sense on Linux.

FWIW the unofficial Wacom web plugin -- https://github.com/ZaneA/WacomWebPlugin -- may work for Wacoms (I haven't got one to test whether it does), but does not appear to work for other tablets -- eg Monoprice, which is UC-LOGIC based. The plugin is correctly detected, once I confirm that it's okay for alexhw.com to access it, but it a) crashes during drawing and b) does not appear to detect pressure.